Long Ferment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoyo

Reaction score
Hi All,

I put a Bavarinan Lager in last Saturday morning, the temp has been held at a constant 20 to 24 degrees all week, I used 1 kg of Dextrose and added the yeast from the pack (Coopers) it started to work after 24 hours and is still working, 1 bubble every 10 seconds, it has been going like that all week. Is this normal?

I intend to rack for 8 to 10 days as per GSRman's recommendation but am not sure if whether to rack now or let it ferment out, but I dont know how long it will keep working?

any suggestions?

Thks guys

check your fg with your hydrometer then check it 24 hours latter and if is the same rack to cold condition or lager or bottle

Yoyo,

Jazman is spot on - once the gravity has stabilised over a couple of days, ie no airlock action and the same SG for two days, then you should consider racking the wort off the yeast cake into a secondary fermenter - ignore the crappy instructions that came with the kit - they are about as useful as providing instructions on how to make cordial - throw them away! If you have some hops, you might want to dry hop the secondary stage to improve flavour and aroma of the wort before bottling or kegging. Don't be in a hurry to bottle or keg the wort out of the primary fermenter - if you rack, bottle or keg too soon, you end up with an underdeveloped lager that has been rushed out the door and not allowed sufficient time to develop its depth.

I have just finished a Coopers Bav Lager. It took 9 days in primary and then three weeks in cold conditioning. The secondary cold conditioning really improved the Lager out of sight...Try to cold condition at around 4-6C in a fridge for a couple of weeks to really improve the Lager characteristics before you bottle / keg. If you bottle or keg the secondary when it's cold, then it will take a bit longer than normal to get the carbonation happening - lagers take their time to come good anyway...

Cheers,

TL

Thks Guys

I will stick with it. Time to buy a second frigde I guess.

Yoyo

Latest posts

Back