Long Brew Weekend

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
The last long brew weekend for a while is upon us again.

Salute the ANZAC's but having a brew up, attending a parade and raising your glasses to the guys and girls from downunder who did us proud. Maybe even a couple of rounds of two-up.

I'll be brewing up 40 litres of ESB, and maybe an APA.

What are you guys brewing ?

Here's to the ANZAC's, :beerbang: :beer:
Doc

A dark bitter and a light coloured bitter, based on the recipe below as the last half of the keg using the below recipe was the best I've done so far. Might try some of Chiller's step mash advice, and up the mash hops a little.

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
52.8 2.80 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 7
3.8 0.20 kg. Weyermann Carapils (Carafoam) Germany 1.037 3
37.7 2.00 kg. JWM Light Munich Australia 1.038 20
3.8 0.20 kg. JWM Crystal 140 Australia 1.035 145
1.9 0.10 kg. JWM Chocolate Malt Australia 1.032 750

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
60.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 3.10 18.8 Mash H
50.00 g. Fuggle Pellet 4.70 30.9 60 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1728 Scotish Ale

Cheers to the ANZAC's :beer:

Saturday will be an ESB.

Sunday will be Yum Cha in the city, followed by the Lion King performance, then Gerard's two new brews at the Macquarie.

Monday will be a service somewhere, back home to brew an IPA during which we'll have a couple for the diggers :beerbang:

Anyone want to share their IPA receipe? I haven't done one yet and would appreciate a good starting point. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Duff - do u want All Grain or Partial - Kits & Bits

Unfortunately I am moving house this weekend. The upside of this is I have a new garage to christen!
The garage I am leaving is cut into the sandstone under the house, so temp control is no drama. It was 20 degrees C in summer and around 12 degrees C or lower in Winter. I told the real estate agent to include this info when they advertise the joint.
First up brew in the new place will be an Organic Pale, followed by the Firkin Bolter.
Just won't make it this weekend.
To commemerate the efforts of so many over the years, this ANZAC Day I will take the tribe to Martin Place for the Dawn Service. Later in the day I might join a few mates at The Australian for a few beers & a punt. Anzac Day @ The Australian is huge. They block off the street on the lower side of the pub.Each year it is the biggest days trade in the pubs history!
Cheers
Gerard

I'll be doing an ESB, then on Monday watch Dad march with the Catalina blokes followed by a few quiet ones watching the Bombers & the Pies.

Good Day
I am aiming to make an Aussie Ale, inspired my Anzac Day and Gerard's pale ale
(crisp, bitter with solid malt backing). Also want to make a light coloured strong ale
approx. 6.7% (the idea hit me like a thunder bolt). Might make a maibock and use an ale yeast, WLP010?
Monday, we are having lunch with friends at the RSL.

Last long weekend? We croweaters have Adelaide Cup Day and Queens Birthday coming up in May and June!

No weekend brew, brewed yesterday

Jovial Monk

I'll just be doing a simple kit - ESB Nut Brown 3kg kit.

The big project for me will be having a crack at yeast farming. I currently have a pils with the WLP001 yeast ready to be CC'd.
Once its off the trub I will be using chillers instructions on yeast farming. I have 6 empty yeast vials lying around and hope to harvest enough to fill the lot!!!
I will use the WLP023 Burton Ale yeast for the nut brown and intend on harvesting from that in a week or two as well.

I love the liquid yeasts and am looking forward to building up some stocks (not to mention saving a few bucks as well !!!)

Cheers

I've been trying to come up with something to honour the ANZAC weekend, I was planning on calling it ANZAPA or something like that, using Aussie malt and NZ hops. Using what I've got left in the fridge looks like it will be more of an ESB.
Anything wrong with using Northern Brewer as bittering hops in an ESB?

GMK said:
Duff - do u want All Grain or Partial - Kits & Bits
[post="55583"][/post]​

AG would be great GMK.

Cheers.

No brewing.

Stocks are all up. Got 40 litres American Brown on tap. 40 Litres of APA conditioning in kegs. (Nearly ready Shawn).

Friday night I'm going to keg 40 litres of Porter which should be ready in time to watch the mighty Gunners thump the shit out of wanky Man U in the FA cup final.

Only own six kegs. If I had more I'd give it some thought. 120 litres is never enough. :chug:

Warren -

mikem108 said:
Anything wrong with using Northern Brewer as bittering hops in an ESB?

No problem at all. Challenger, Target or NB are my choices for bittering ESBs.

Duff said:
Anyone want to share their IPA receipe? I haven't done one yet and would appreciate a good starting point. :rolleyes:

Here's the WLA IPA recipe that was in the SA 2004 Xmas case

BeerSmith Recipe Printout
Wankers Left Arm IPA v2.0
Style: English IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 27.00 L
Boil Size: 32.70 L
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 8.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 50.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item % or IBU
4.50 kg JWM Traditional Ale Malt (3.0 SRM) 75.0 %
0.80 kg IMC Munich Malt (6.1 SRM) 13.3 %
0.30 kg Weyermann Caramunich II (63.0 SRM) 5.0 %
0.21 kg Hoepfner Wheat Malt Light (2.0 SRM) 3.5 %
0.19 kg Hoepfner Melanoidin (19.8 SRM) 3.2 %
40.00 gm Fuggles [5.00%] (60 min) 22.1 IBU
40.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.20%] (60 min) 18.6 IBU
35.00 gm Fuggles [5.00%] (15 min) 5.2 IBU
35.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.20%] (15 min) 4.3 IBU
0.25 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)
1 Pkgs Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728) [Cultured] Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 6.00 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 16.50 L of water at 75.1 C 65.0 C 75 min
Mash Out Add 10.00 L of water at 99.3 C 76.0 C 10 min

This recipe also works well with Wyeast 1026 British Cask Ale yeast. Some aroma hops at flameout would not be out of place either and will be in v3.0.

An option if you like Chilli Beer is to add one thai red hot (the little chillis) per stubbie at bottling. Cut off the stem first and score the skin. This gives a nice balance between heat and flavour. We tried a couple with 2 chillis but the chilli went completely over the top of the hops.

Steve (who is ironically brewing an ESB not an Aussie Ale on ANZAC Day) :party:

Hey ale ye Ole' Cobbers (it is anzac w/end afterall)

I've got not a three but four day longy. Company has picnic day set for tuesday. Wuhoo.
Got a grumpies mild irish stout m\brew to put down with wyeast 1084 after bottling a few batches to free up some fermentors. All between spending time with the family of course..

Also I can start planning my next partial or mini AG, continue building the brewery, upgrade the handle on my mill, fertilise the garden (with trub of course) and look at setting up some garden beds to grow hops this year. Never a dull moment.

Not to mention drinking some fine beverages throughout.

Borret

On the chilli's. Did a mexican beer ages ago and stuck a scored chilli in a few 330ml bottles. It turned into the true definition of pain. Enough to make your ears bleed. Taste was realy casicumy and the burn quite nasty. It also adjusts the prime becasue of the apparent sugar in the chilli. All were well over carbed.

Borret

:excl: WARNING! Blanket Statement Ahead...

Borret said:
It also adjusts the prime becasue of the apparent sugar in the chilli. All were well over carbed.

:rolleyes: That must be the reason. :)

Steve

I'll be shifting pavers most of the weekend but plan to brew a Porter on Monday (and assisting the fermentation of a Coopers Sparkling Ale kit for the keg).

Steve,

Sorry should I be more specific....... The whole lot was bulk primed and only those that had chilli's were overgassed! Please excuse me for being bold enough to make an observation. I don't believe that can be concieved as coincidence. If you wish to dismiss it, do so, I don't really care. You could also omit the quick blanching of the chillis to try and irradicate wild yeast on the skin's or is that too much of a blanket statement.

Borret

hopefully putting 3 down this w/e, A light english style bitter. Catapult Ale from the Porchester brewery (5%) & maybe an Oktoberfest if time permits...

:( none zip zilch. :(
im all out of grain.
better do more ringing around i guess.

Back