London Pubs (and Paris suggestions?)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kumamoto_Ken

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I have an extremely quick work visit to London and Paris in a week and a half. I won't have too much spare time and naturally would like to maximise my pub and beer experiences (even visited the local library to do some research, see pic). I'll be staying near Tower Hill (and then Waterloo for a couple of nights). I'd value any suggestions of "can't miss" pubs and/or beers. I've already found a couple of pubs nearby where I can get a pint of TT Landlord out of the cask.

I have a few nights in Paris and can't really imagine a pub scene there, but am open to suggestions if anyone has them? Staying near the Trocadero Gardens.

IMAG0250.jpg

If you can get to a Craft Beer Co pub they are good to get a nice sample of a fair few beers. I would highly recommend trying any beers from The Kernel if you get a chance as the few I had were fantastic. Also tracking down a Brewdog Pub is also a great experience.

I went out with SWMBO to the area around the Moulin Rouge.

I'm not sure if it's a red light district (probably), but there was a huge amount of street-side bars and restaurants going up the hill. Maybe night-time Paris is always like this, but there was lots of nightlife. So it could be worth a look. If I ever make it there again with SWMBO, I'd be sure to go here again. It's on the metro line #2, "Blanche" station.

Don't know anything about Paris + craft beer.

But there's an awesome beer shop (Village De La Bière) in Strasbourg ;)

Strasbourg Beer Shop smaller.jpg

London: definitely hit up a Sam Smith's pub, they're cheap and the beer is excellent. The John Snow in Soho and the Crown near the Tottenham Court Rd were my favourites. If jet lag has you up at all hours, there's pubs near the Smithfield meat market and Borough market that open about 5am.

Paris: no specific recommendations, but you should know that bars in Paris charge you different prices based on where you sit. It's cheapest to drink at the bar, a bit more expensive to drink sitting down at a table, and eye-watering if you want to sit at a table on the street.

as above i would recommend the craft beer co. drop in there once a day, you won't run out of great beers to try of every sort, including very carefully chosen obscure belgian, scandinavian, czech beers etc.
the other places would be market porter, the rake, white horse parsons green, wenlock arms (for the traditional sort of english pub experience where the whole room turns round and stares silently when you walk in - the place for traditional cask beers)

in paris i would go directly to a supermarket and buy several bottles of the belgian (8%) guinness FES and lock yourself in the hotel room for the night.

or get to a Colruyt supermarket and buy the westvleteren 12 gift pack:

http://maltsethoublons.com/2012/02/15/exclusif-la-westvleteren-xii-disponible-en-france/

i'm visiting paris in oct and will be heading straight to a Colruyt!

Thanks very much for the replies folks.

Looks like I'll have to plan carefully to take in a few of the recommendations....either that or get stinking drunk at the first pub and remain there.

Standing at Tower hill with the Tower of London in front of you and the Thames behind that ,turn to the right follow the street and you will find a top little pub on the left 2 minutes walk from the Tower.
Also over the other side of the river over London bridge is the Rake in Borough Market.
I did t get to the Rake but it was recomended by Anthony UK.

In Paris try Entre 2 Mondes ( google availability ) I couldn't get enough of this beer!
If you plan on having a look at the Moulin Rouge take the underground to Rome station the Moulin Rouge is over in the 2 o'clock position as you exit the station .
The street that runs uphill n the right hand side of the Moulin Rouge is called Rue Lepic near the top on the Lhs is a supermarket called G20 ,a good selection of beers in there.
At the top of Rue Lepic turn right there are quite a few bars along this street to visit.
Along this street on the left is a small open area look for the Metropolitain station ( Abesses) you can take this back to where you are stating instead of walking back down to the Rome Station.
Cheers....spog...

Mr Wibble said:
I went out with SWMBO to the area around the Moulin Rouge.

I'm not sure if it's a red light district (probably), but there was a huge amount of street-side bars and restaurants going up the hill. Maybe night-time Paris is always like this, but there was lots of nightlife. So it could be worth a look. If I ever make it there again with SWMBO, I'd be sure to go here again. It's on the metro line #2, "Blanche" station.

Don't know anything about Paris + craft beer.

But there's an awesome beer shop (Village De La Bière) in Strasbourg ;)

attachicon.gif
Strasbourg Beer Shop smaller.jpg

Yep the red light area where Moulin Rouge is located is called Pigalle.

In London, look for pubs that are Free House. These pubs arent contracted to any particular brewery and tend to have a few different ales. We didnt drink much craft beer, pretty much stuck to real ales. Our theory was that this is the only place where you can get a hand pulled beer in every pub, so we drank real ales. Hoppy American style craft beers are plentiful, but a cask conditioned ale is something to behold.
If you are there on a Sunday, head to soho and find the Blue Post. Nice little pub, but they have a very good band that plays every Sunday (The Fallen Heroes). They start at 4, so get there at 3 as it fills up very quickly.
In Paris its a cafe culture. Beers were expensive - 8.5 euro if sitting on the sidewalk, 7.50 euro anywhere else. Only lagers served, that we saw anyway. We did see a couple of Belgian styled pubs, but didnt venture in. Their pints are 500 ml as well, so not a true pint. The lagers were crap. If you can, go to a monoprix (supermarket), buy beer there and drink it someplace else. I was buying 3 Monts for under 2 euro. Chimays for 1.5 euro. In fact, for what you pay for a pint of Kronenberg, you can buy 2 x 4 packs of the same beer.
Cheers
LB

LagerBomb said:
In London, look for pubs that are Free House. These pubs arent contracted to any particular brewery and tend to have a few different ales. We didnt drink much craft beer, pretty much stuck to real ales. Our theory was that this is the only place where you can get a hand pulled beer in every pub, so we drank real ales. Hoppy American style craft beers are plentiful, but a cask conditioned ale is something to behold.
If you are there on a Sunday, head to soho and find the Blue Post. Nice little pub, but they have a very good band that plays every Sunday (The Fallen Heroes). They start at 4, so get there at 3 as it fills up very quickly.
In Paris its a cafe culture. Beers were expensive - 8.5 euro if sitting on the sidewalk, 7.50 euro anywhere else. Only lagers served, that we saw anyway. We did see a couple of Belgian styled pubs, but didnt venture in. Their pints are 500 ml as well, so not a true pint. The lagers were crap. If you can, go to a monoprix (supermarket), buy beer there and drink it someplace else. I was buying 3 Monts for under 2 euro. Chimays for 1.5 euro. In fact, for what you pay for a pint of Kronenberg, you can buy 2 x 4 packs of the same beer.
Cheers
LB
Ooh ,cask ales ,oh the memories.......
To travel all the way to pomgolia walk into a pub with pump handles on display ,choose an ale see it being pumped into a pint glass,then drinking it for the first time.....fark, would give a jellyfish a horn :).

Mate I live in London for 5 years get out to Brixton there is a craft beer pub ear the market. A pub on Brixton rd called something icqnt remember exactly anchor which regularly changes it's beers. Then there is a pub near but called the duke of Edinburgh which has a great beer garden. Another pub called the windmill and get into the market place for a sensational feed.

For Paris:
Brewberry beer bar - 18 rue du Pot de Fer
Female owner who speaks really good english. Good range of international beers, plenty of which are hard to come by in Australia.
Bottle shop - La Cave a bulles - 45 Rue Quincampoix, near centre pompidou. Good international range, best bottle shop in Paris. Heaps of french and belgian beers.

Deffo try the Rake if you can.
Their FB page usually has what casks are on https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Rake/147286531966639
Their bottle selection is comprehensive too :D

This quaint single brewery pub is also pretty good - http://www.stpetersbrewery.co.uk/london-pub/

One of our budget chains JD Wetherspoons have been pushing real ale recently and I was pretty impressed TBH http://www.jdwrealale.co.uk/

If you have a smartphone try one of the many apps such as perfect pint to see what nearby :beer:

Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese is worth a look. It's one of the oldest pubs in London and has a fascinating history (well I found it fascinating but that's kind of my bag). Great atmosphere; dark, small rooms, low ceilings, a subterranean level etc. I think it's a Sam Smiths pub (as per BrewbieNewbie's tip) so the range is not massive but there are some great pints at reasonable prices. It's just off Fleet Street so quite centrally located.

Breweries in London whose beer you should look for, in no order:

Beavertown
Kernel
Brew by Numbers
Partizan
Redemption
Camden Town Brewery
Fullers (obvz)

Places to drink, again in no order:

North:
Earl of Essex
The Black Heart
The Taproom

East:
Cock Tavern
The Fox
Dukes Brew and Que
Crate Brewery
The Jolly Butcher

South:
The Dean Swift
The Rake (which is not for me but people love it)
The Ivy House
Cask Pub and Kitchen

West:
I don't go here so no idea.

Central:
Holborn Whippet
The Gunmakers (this is my number one recommend because the food is so good and the ales are kept the best in town imho)
Old Red Cow
Craft Clerkenwell ( a chain of craft beer pubs, they are in; Clerkenwell, Brixton, Islington, Covent Garden)

That's it. These are mostly pubs, there are a lot of places to eat that also do good beer, but there are way are lot of places that do shit everything.

Good luck.

Try The Dove near Hammersmith bridge.
As you go in the door, on the RHS there is a bar with seats that only fits 3 people. Out the back is an outdoor area that looks out over the Thames. Beautiful view.
The Beer Hunter series with Michael Jackson visits this pub during the British episode.

Latest posts

Back