Lme Vs Sucrose

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_sa

Now in 3V
Reaction score
Howdy

I know i know, NOT ANOTHER BLOODY BULK PRIMING QUESTION!

Well yes it is :)

Sorry, But i have bulk primed one bacth ever, Not because i dont have the equipment, Because im a bit sketchy..... I like my beers as carbonated as most lagers and pilseners you get in bottles, and same as on tap, anything, pale Ale etc, they all seem to me like the carb level is the same....

I bulk primed with sucrose, a Heritage Lager, I used 160G, and after 3 weeks, They were ok, After 4 weeks, all gone :( hehe

Now im interested in using LME instead of sugar to take that taste away

So i ask, if i was using 160g Sucrose, How much LME would i use???

Also, Do you Bulk Prime? And how much do u use? HOw long do you leave it?

Shit, more questions than a school assignment!

Ben

ben_sa said:
[snip]
So i ask, if i was using 160g Sucrose, How much LME would i use???

Also, Do you Bulk Prime? And how much do u use? HOw long do you leave it?

[snip}
Ben,

Without getting too techo here, as a general rule of thumb, if you want to substitute Malt Extract for sucrose in bulk priming, add 30% if you use dried malt extract and 40% if you are using liquid malt extract. If you want to use Dextrose, then add 15% to your original sucrose amount.

IE,
160g Sucrose or 208g DME or 224g of LME or 184g of Dextrose.

Search the net and you will find lots of interesting articles on this stuff to totally confound yourself with!

Here's a good starting point that describes the technique quite well!

TL

I allow 11g per litre of DME for priming. You can never say you need "x' grams. It depends on your batch size. You can also vary up or down depending on gravity, style and preference.

Personally, I like DME over sucrose. I think it gives a nicer, more compact bubble than sucrose, although this is probably also influenced by the FG of the brew (most of mine finish high, around 1.012-1.016).

ben_sa said:
Now im interested in using LME instead of sugar to take that taste away
Leaving them more than 3 weeks might help with the taste ;-)

PostModern said:
I allow 11g per litre of DME for priming. You can never say you need "x' grams. It depends on your batch size.
Good point PoMo, however I had assumed that Ben was happy with the level of carbonation that he had achieved in his batch, of whatever size.

TL

I have never used malt to prime bottles but I was wondering why, that if you go to the promash program on carbonation and select DME over Corn Sugar ( dextrose )
then the amount for DME is almost DOUBLE that of corn sugar.

Now I know LME and DME have slightly different values as PPG but there seems to be a certain amount of descrepancy in all this bottle priming.

Is Corn Sugar dextrose, or do they mean dried corn syrup?

Can any one explain the formula in the promash program?

Just wondering!

Cheers

Has anyone priming with malt extract ever experienced the scum around the top of the bottle that Palmer warns of?

deebee said:
Has anyone priming with malt extract ever experienced the scum around the top of the bottle that Palmer warns of?
No. Never.
I've only ever primed with sucrose about 3-4 times, so that makes about 15 batches of DME primed beer with neery a ring.

Sorry i should have explained, Im talking in terms of a 23L Batch.....

Deebee, leaving more than 3 weeks is just so hard :( I normally take 2 stubbies out of every batch and put them away soemwhere else to age.....

So far i got 18 stubbies waiting, Just waiting......

Ben

deebee said:
Nope - My Lagers and Porters are always DME primed and no scum rings to speak of... ;)

Cheers,
TL

Back