Little Creatures

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wasabi

Reaction score
Guys,

Our sales rep in WA has just told me the following

"PS - big news! Little Creatures Pale Ale will now be on tap at the Australia Hotel at the Rocks in Sydney"

Does anyone know if this has happened yet?

Yep, its been on tap there for a couple of weeks.

Beers,
Doc

So don't leave us in suspense Doc, :blink: how does it taste? Any real difference to the bottled product? How is the cloudiness/clarity factor? Any info greatly appreciated,

Shawn.

Didn't get to try it myself.
Got the phone call from one of my mates who was there drinking it while I was working hard at the office :angry:

Will be in the city next week on and off so will get up there to give it a go.

Beers,
Doc

I managed to get up to the Australian for a pint of LCPA on Thurday. I found it fairly similar to the bottled product but tasted much fresher.
Nice and clear, very nice 'floral' taste (I think from cascade hops) with fairly good aroma.
A bit on the expensive side at $7.30 for a pint but, well worth the experience.

Cheers,
Andy

struth :angry:
reckon you better hit the clone trail shed and come up with an alternative to lcpa.$7.30 is a bit extreme.there are plenty of ideas on lcpa and snpa on grumpys site and this one as well.long live experimentation and cascade hops

big d B)

NSWelshmen cheer up, from memory it's less than a dollar cheaper for a pint at the Little Creatures Brewery within 50 feet of the fermenter that gave it birth.

I'll pay it again, though. Love it.

Ah... so my education continues....
As it happens I bought a stubbie of LCPA the other night to try it and loved it. I was wondering what the hops were... so its Cascade eh... very nice.

I thought it had a lovely floral smell about it. Funny thing is... if you had asked me a few months ago whether a floral smell would be good thing in a beer I would have said that would be like mixing eu-de-cologne with vegemite... or serving beer with little umbrellas in it. :rolleyes:

Little creatures have got me. :D

When I first tried it, I was shocked by how floral it was because I wasn't expecting it. But it's such a flavour explosion in the mouth, it becomes addictive. There was just a particular flavour in it that was so familiar, but I couldn't place it - then I had one last week and realised what it was: Lychee nut. Yep, there is a hint on the back palate of freshly peeled lychee. If you can clone that in your garage, you're on to a winner!

snow
iam pretty sure i know the flavour your talking about.i first thought it just brought the word dark fruit to my mind.for some reason.
anyway i don't have a clue what lychee is.what do they look like etc?

iam very very close to that winner in my garage.last time i got a six pack of lcpa. i was very impressed with my version side by side.

Jayse,

a lychee nut is a brown, lumpy soft-shelled nut about the size of a plum. You peel the shell off and underneath is a soft white transluscent fruit that looks like a human eyeball and has the texture of a grape (sound appetising?). It has a distinctive sweet, floral taste and is delicious. The Chinese use it a lot in cooking. When they're in season (Christmas time), you can get them in normal supermarkets.

Your LCPA recipe is next on my list. I've just got to convince my HBS guy to order in US Cascade instead of the NZ variety he always gets.

- Snow.

Well popped up to the Australian for lunch today.
Had a jug of the LCPA and matched it nicely with a 50/50 Crocodile/Morocan Lamb pizza.
The LCPA was great as was the pizza.

Beers,
Doc

Has anyone got an extract recipe that would be similar to LCPA? or their Rogers beer.

Cheers,

Eddy

search for skunk fart ale, most of it will be ag but there was definately some extract versions.

I had a Little Creatures sales rep come into my work the other day, and I asked her for the PA recipe.

Her reply was, "I would tell you, but it would be doubtful if you could make it, because the hops have to be imported from Oregon in the states."

Apparently they get the hops specially imported, and they have to get past very strict quarantine standards.

I would doubt if it were Cascade that they were using.

yakima valley shoobs.many posts and pics ago on ahb

Shoobs - yes it is Cascade, although what the rep was telling you was correct. They use a certain variety ( i can't remember the name atm, was it yakima chief?)

Anyway, when the gallery was working, one of our members took some photo's of the hop boxes and posted them. The hopback was a joy to behold - looked like a deep fryer.

Hi Shoobs, it definitely is Cascade that they use, just that it's whole Cascade hop flowers that they have decidede to use and therefore need to be specially imported.

Grumpy's Masterbrew 'Boston Cream Ale' is a mighty fine American Pale Ale extract brew in the style of LCPA, well worth a try, it just took out first prize in the the South Australian Brewing Comp (SABSOSA) Pale Ale category (again!).

tdh

Yakima Chief isn't a variety, it's the hop growers co-op.

I bet that most HB shops stock USA Cascade from the Yakima Chief farms.

tdh

Yeah variety was a bad term, but i couldn't think of anything better than manufacturer, which i certainly hope doesn't apply to fresh hops.

Back