Little Creatures Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting, that does look like a high ABV grain bill being 6+kg. BTW whats your location, assume the 6.08g of Calcium Chloride is location specific.

I don't pay much attention to the IBUs calculated in Beersmith either. The original was probably around 40IBUs from memory, and this version (on my gear) gives great malt and hops balance. I think IBU calculations and what people say their IBUs are can be a bit misleading anyway, as there are a lot of things that contribute to bitterness in beer as well.

JD
Just been reading this on that very point!
https://theknow.denverpost.com/2018/02/27/ibu-ipa-bitterness-myth-weldwerks-cerebral-2018/177531/

Thanks for posting, that does look like a high ABV grain bill being 6+kg. BTW whats your location, assume the 6.08g of Calcium Chloride is location specific.

I think it was for eastern Melbourne water, but it was based on more of a vibe than good science.

I've actually stopped making water additions more recently, and haven't noticed an appreciable difference in my beers.

I think it was for eastern Melbourne water, but it was based on more of a vibe than good science.

I've actually stopped making water additions more recently, and haven't noticed an appreciable difference in my beers.

I'm SE Melbourne, I know what you mean, the jury is still out for me on water additions, I think our water is pretty good to start with although Beersmith has it down as very malty.

Had this on Tap last night in Queensland, distinct aroma and flavour, the benchmark of the pale ale in australia!!

No worries fellas. Bear in mind this is a clone of the original, not the anaemic, lightly hopped version that is out these days.

TBH if you dropped the EKG and bittered with either chinook or cascade the beer wouldn’t be drastically different. The real character comes from lots of late chinook and cascade. They compliment each other perfectly for this beer.

JD

No worries fellas. Bear in mind this is a clone of the original, not the anaemic, lightly hopped version that is out these days.

TBH if you dropped the EKG and bittered with either chinook or cascade the beer wouldn’t be drastically different. The real character comes from lots of late chinook and cascade. They compliment each other perfectly for this beer.

JD

I did change the hop quantities based on the ones I had being different AA than your recipe, my EKG where specified as 6.5 so quite different, beersmith calculates ibu of 41 so a lot closer to the 36 little creatures specify, I'll let you know how it turns out in a couple of weeks

Kegged this up Sunday and force carbed over night, its made a very nice easy drinking Pale ale, its lacking the fresh aroma you get from a good LCPA but still a nice beer, I will make it again but I'll up the late and dry hops. Its the first time I've used EKG as a bittering hop and I like it, its a nice smooth bitterness not harsh like some hops.

Do those of you brewing these hop forward beers find the hop presences is gone by the time the kegs 3/4 empty?
Does it last if bottling?

Do those of you brewing these hop forward beers find the hop presences is gone by the time the kegs 3/4 empty?
Does it last if bottling?
I find that the hops do fade out in the keg and the bottle. I have just started the dry hop in the keg to give me more time to drink it before it fades. I use a hop bomb on a chain
1522062022701.jpeg

I have noticed the great beer of old had turned a bit cheap last time i tried it in a bottle. infact they were free at a wedding and i only had one, i really did not enjoy it. 5+ yrs ago i would have been all over it!

Might give your recipe a go - cheers

I have noticed that with a couple of other notable breweries

Latest posts

Back