Little Creatures Pale Ale Post Buy Out

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malt_shovel

Reaction score
Well it has been a while since i bought LC Pale Ale in bottles but i did just that the other day and while sipping it from a glass i had a strange moment where the lingering flavour reminded me of some local commercial lagers. That got me wondering whether some POR had crept ibto the brew schedule. Probably a reault of my wild imagination but was wondering if i was not alone in this experience.
Cheers

Not discounting your experience with the beer. Lion has not taken over anything yet. These things just dont happen over night.

I bought a case on the weekend and was absolutely loving it. Such a good beer, let's hope it remains as such.

A bottle of LCPA I had last week gave me exactly the same reaction - I'd put fifty bucks down that there's now PoR in LCPA.

The weird part was it also tasted like there was a hint of Citra in there late... :eek:

Matilda Bay has been owned by CUB for 12+ years. I don't feel they have been "tainted" in any way.

I bought a case of LCPA pints about two weeks ago when I was out of hb and I had not had this beer for well over six months prior, the fist taste had me seriously considering returning the remainder of the case to LL. Maybe just bad handling? I also thought it had that local lager taste, to me it wasn't a association with PoR, more that taste one often gets from beers on tap where the lines haven't been kept clean. Anyway I ended up finishing the case as I couldn't find the receipt and it was hot and I was thirsty, but it really put me off buying it again.

I bought a carton of pint bottles over the weekend and agree that there's something not quite right. Seems the common thread here seems to be pint bottles, maybe a suss batch. Hopefully not a sign of things to come as it is my favourite commercial beer.

I bought a carton of pint bottles over the weekend and agree that there's something not quite right. Seems the common thread here seems to be pint bottles, maybe a suss batch. Hopefully not a sign of things to come as it is my favourite commercial beer.

I bought a stubbie (fresh) and the first thing I noticed was the lack of "rusty nails" LCPA used to have in the bottles. Which was good.

Tasted a lot like PoR for bittering and Citra/Cascade for flavour. Still one of the nicest APAs in Oz, but the recipe has definately changed.

IMHO if you get bad LCPA the most likely culprit is poor handling/storage. The brewery might even like to know (especially if it's from a chain store/pub) so they can help get it to you fresher and in better condition next time.

Nick JD - They lost the "rusty nails" years ago when they switched to reverse osmosis filtration of their liquor.

They lost the "rusty nails" years ago when they switched to reverse osmosis filtration of their liquor.
Pig's arse they did. I was away with the missus a couple months back and this was the "best" offering available at the chain supermarket where we were. Still the same metallic beer it has always been in my experience.

IMHO if you get bad LCPA the most likely culprit is poor handling/storage. The brewery might even like to know (especially if it's from a chain store/pub) so they can help get it to you fresher and in better condition next time.

I totally agree...the best beer my local has is LCPA (bottled) but everytime I get it it seems to taste a little different (good, bad & ugly)

Pig's arse they did. I was away with the missus a couple months back and this was the "best" offering available at the chain supermarket where we were. Still the same metallic beer it has always been in my experience.
Are you sure LC's is to blame for the metallic taste? Surely it can't be the brewery when I've noticed the same metallic taste in beer from many breweries, including but not limited to: LC's, Cooper's, Jame Squire's, Young's (UK), Fat Yak etc.

Surely, surely all these breweries are not at fault?

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...=32585&st=0

Yummmm rusty nails. Cant say I have tasted "that" and described it that way before, its a changing drop but usually of good quality technically.
Nev

Are you sure LC's is to blame for the metallic taste? Surely it can't be the brewery when I've noticed the same metallic taste in beer from many breweries, including but not limited to: LC's, Cooper's, Jame Squire's, Young's (UK), Fat Yak etc.

Surely, surely all these breweries are not at fault?

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...=32585&st=0
When every bottle I've had of one beer from one brewery is metallic? Yes, I blame the brewery. I blame the brewery in most instances (as you'll see from my post in the thread you linked).

I don't recall getting any metallic bite from the single batch beers of theirs I've had, nor Rogers, nor their Bright. Every bottle of LCPA has been awful.

rusty nails, yep, a delightful addition to any beer... lol

tbh, only ever had it in bottled beers. It has to be something to do with the bottling process, or storage, imho.

Yummmm rusty nails. Cant say I have tasted "that" and described it that way before, its a changing drop but usually of good quality technically.
Nev

Yep I would expect all craft beer to be ever so slightly changing over time as improvements are made.

I wasn't meant to imply that it was badly made or mis-treated, just that it tasted significantly different since I last had it, and that it reminded me of locally made commercial lagers, hence the question mark after POR.

It didn't make me think "rusty nails" either.

Yep I would expect all craft beer to be ever so slightly changing over time as improvements are made.

I wasn't meant to imply that it was badly made or mis-treated, just that it tasted significantly different since I last had it, and that it reminded me of locally made commercial lagers, hence the question mark after POR.

It didn't make me think "rusty nails" either.
I expect that we may get some WA rusty nail brews in our 2012 Case swap. Drink with teeth clenched ;)

Nev

tbh, only ever had it in bottled beers. It has to be something to do with the bottling process, or storage, imho.

Me too. I haven't ever tasted the metallic taste from the beer on tap. I had always assumed it was something to do with the bottletops they used. But I can't imagine they'd be different to what anyone else used.

Until you realise that just about every bottle of beer uses the same cap, probably the same supplier even.

Back