Little Creatures Day Of The Long Shadow Sb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a sample off the growler station at the shop. I thought it was going to be a quad, but it's not. Just a spicy strong belgian pale ale. It's alright, a little bit too much sweet spice.

Had a bottle of this last night. I didn't like it at all. The best way I can describe it is cough syrup. It was too sweet for my tastes, could have been darker (earthier/maltier) - the colour was a deep ruby red. I tried it from about 6 degrees all the way through to about 18 degrees with room temperature making it more palatable for me.

Is it just me or is "spiced" beer starting to make itself more known here in Australia...I never really saw much of it over here but its really popular in the USA

Mordy Cellars in Mordialloc have some of this on order, but only a few cases. I pre-ordered some.

meh... I don't like the sounds of this... being winter, it'd be nice if they made a stout, for something different.

meh... I don't like the sounds of this... being winter, it'd be nice if they made a stout, for something different.

They already did a stout, two in fact. A spiced ale is perfect for winter, especially at that alc %. Oh and on the cough syrup comment, Wow, it seems no matter what style they choose now it's going to taste like cough syrup, wtf from what I remember cough syrup was a thick cherry flavored thing. Loved the Holgate Guit Expectations, want to make my own spiced ale and expect good things from this beer. Can't wait to get my hands on some.

Picked up a case today from Avoca Beach Cellars, $74.95
At 8.9% it will be a good night.

Having it on tap at the brewery. I like it a lot, much much better than anticipated. Nice and malty, crystal sweetness, drying finish with a hint of hops and spice. Well balanced. Very good winter ale and the best single batch for a while

Trying some of this now. I'm enjoying the spiciness to it. Nice and warming for these freakin cold night.
The first thing the missus said when she tasted it was that it tasted a lot like my Raison d'etre clone I'm fermenting at the moment, which is a Belgian Brown ale.
Had to admit it was very very close to it.

I will now use my Raison d'tre recipe as a base to try and clone this.

Had a pot from the engine at the Archive Friday arvo. Quite good!
More of a cool evening brew than a warm afternoon lunch brew though.

just sipping on one now and the first thing to hit me was a huge clove oil flavour. seems very clean for a belgian yeast and the sweetness is very cloying. actually a very decieving beer for the abv wich is hidden very well but overall the sweetness really lets down what would have otherwise been a very nice beer.

Called Dans at Noosa, not in stock there yet. Will try XO Cellars at Sunshine Beach next.

Screwy

I found a hint of aniseed in the finish.

I loved it. nothing more to say really! enjoyed it alot more than the quiet american.

just sipping on one now and the first thing to hit me was a huge clove oil flavour. seems very clean for a belgian yeast and the sweetness is very cloying. actually a very decieving beer for the abv wich is hidden very well but overall the sweetness really lets down what would have otherwise been a very nice beer.

Who said anything about a Belgian yeast? B)

Quite looking forward to trying this one - have not heard anything bad yet from those that have tried it - early days I know, but definitely a good sign.

Now to hopefully find a reliable supplier - my special carton order for the previous QA release never materialized despite being promised it would come in :(

Fair call. I'm not too up on how long Woolies have stock in warehouse, I just made an assumption.

My guess would be that they always intended to release it to those outlets, and it was always keyed for X date. No mistake about it, those big warehouses and distro locations don't stuff around. Step drop of stock...rule 101 in DC output.

Got two bottles yesterday...it isn't a bad beer but something didn't sit right with my taste buds

Heaps of flavour but I was expecting more spice to it I think.

That or I am just wanting to try my stout which is still brewing hahaha

The second bottle will sit in my man cave for a while and I will enjoy it at a later date.

Latest posts

Back