Little Creatures Day Of The Long Shadow Sb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew Matt

Reaction score
It seems that special release beers produced in Australia may be on the increase, with the next Little Creatures Single Batch Release being announced.

With a title like "Day Of The Long Shadow" this sounds more like a literary piece than a brew. None the less, I am looking forward to having a taste... and hopefully it won't take me as long to find as the previous "Quiet American", which I tracked down only in the last few days (its a regional thing).

More information below. Looking forward to hearing the comments on this one.

View attachment Day_Of_The_Long_Shadow_Spiced_Winter_Ale_20120615_Media_Release_Little_Creatures.pdf
long-dark-shadowjpg.jpg

my type of beer :icon_cheers:

Missed out on the Big Dippa last year, and haven't had much inclination to grab the quiet American (not that the sell it anywhere up here)

Hopefully they're on the shelves when I come to Melbourne in a couple of weeks.

I really hope that they don't overdo the spicing, because that sound really good :)

I really hope that they don't overdo the spicing, because that sound really good :)

Agreed, the malt bill sounds delicious, I am hoping that the nutmeg and cinnamon arn't overpowering.

just pleased to see LC making a beer without cascade, might be worth drinking in 4 months when it finally hits the local bottlo..

That sounds freakin awesome. Would be great to brew a clone of this.

Anyone know some Melbourne SE burbs bottle shops that might stock this when it comes out? I've only ever seen Bright and Pale Ale at Dans, they dont seem to stock any of LC's speciality brews...Not surprising.

Anyone know some Melbourne SE burbs bottle shops that might stock this when it comes out? I've only ever seen Bright and Pale Ale at Dans, they dont seem to stock any of LC's speciality brews...Not surprising.

try your local woolies truman, Im in the sticks and the locals out here get it.

Huge props to LC for the work on the documentation.

Truman, the Wine Bar in Mordialloc has had the past 3 single batches, no reason why they won't have this one!

If you think this style sounds good - use their listing of malts/hops/adjuncts and build a recipe that sounds good to you!

You'll never get a perfect clone, so why not base the recipe design on something you want to drink?

Sounds to me a lot like a Belgian Dark Strong with some spices and an american ale yeast. To be honest, I'd stick with a belgian yeast with that malt bill - only because I know how good that can taste.

Get out there and brew :beerbang:

The last batch they did, they actually supplied a map of outlets that supplied it. Selected outlets etc etc...... Except now the Quiet American is showing up in Woolies Liquor all over Melbourne. It mustn't be selling too well ;-)

Released in 2 weeks time, and with a couple of kegs going out to some places in Perth for growler fills.

Quiet American...[snip]...It mustn't be selling too well
I know you winked at the end but let me respond seriously to your post for a second.

First of all, if it is showing up in Woolies now then it has been in their warehouse for at least 2 months prior so poor sales is unlikely to be a factor (not that Woolworths would ever sell "secondhand" stock).

Secondly, it was actually fairly brave (aka stupid) move on LC's part to put the word "American" in the name of that beer. Most of us know different but if you talk to your average beer consumer in this country and they'll tell you that "American beer" is watery piss that isn't worth buying. Probably a poor choice of title from a marketing perspective. How they'll take to this even more "arty" sounding title is anyone's guess.

In don't generally like spiced beers, but I'll try this one, just because.

Slightly OT.
I was in Merimbula after xmas. It's a beer wasteland there. Not a decent bottle shop for hours...
I took my summer BM pack and 30 bottles of HB .
BIL decided he liked my HB more than his regular mega swill...
Found the best part of a carton of LC Big DIPA in the woolies bottle shop!
Allelujha! There is a god and he loves me.\

Back OT.
Try Woolies.

will get on the "local" outlet/bottlo, i asked about the previous releases and got a nup,dunno,not here response..piss'es me off
sounds like a good drop to try.....cheers........spog..........

I know you winked at the end but let me respond seriously to your post for a second.

First of all, if it is showing up in Woolies now then it has been in their warehouse for at least 2 months prior so poor sales is unlikely to be a factor (not that Woolworths would ever sell "secondhand" stock).

Secondly, it was actually fairly brave (aka stupid) move on LC's part to put the word "American" in the name of that beer. Most of us know different but if you talk to your average beer consumer in this country and they'll tell you that "American beer" is watery piss that isn't worth buying.

Fair call. I'm not too up on how long Woolies have stock in warehouse, I just made an assumption.

Interesting thoughts about the word 'American', I watched two blokes in First Choice the other day. They were looking in the fridge and grabbed out a six pack of Sierra Nevada, all very interested in it. The first bloke says"hey, whats this? We should get it, $25 a six pack, it must be pretty good", to which the second bloke replied "no way mate, I don't f*#king trust American beer. It's all shit". :rolleyes:

logo.jpg

<h1 style="margin: 0.67em 0cm; text-align: center;" align="center">Day of the Long Shadow</h1>
DayOfTheLongShadow_WEB.121901.png
Our latest Single Batch, Day of the Long Shadow, a spiced winter ale, starts to make its way around the country to you today. With winter well and truly here and fireplaces all over the country beckoning, this rich velvety full flavoured ale is the perfect winter warmer on a long, cold night...​
Want to be the first to try it? If you're in Freo or Melbourne come and try it on us as we tap our first kegs today from 4pm in Freo and 4.30pm in Fitzroy.
If Healesville is a little closer to home, our mates at White Rabbit Brewery have just tapping a keg of Day of the Long Shadow for you to go and try...​
Can't make it to us? Click here for a map of where you can find it at a great beer loving bottleshop or venue near you. For those of you picking some up for home this beer is best consumed at a warmer temperature and we recommend pouring it into a glass and drinking it between 8 to 12 degrees.​
Remember, stock is extremely limited and it might take us a little while to get Day of the Long Shadow all the way across Australia so best to call your local and double check they have it in stock before heading out.

Latest posts

Back