Little Creatures Bright Ale help please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASYLUM_SPIRIT

Reaction score
Hey all

I did try and post this on the thread about Tony's Bright Ale recipe but it said I did not have permission.

I loved the bright ale when I tried it a few weeks back, and now it’s my mission to try and make something very similar.

I will be doing a 20L BIAB all grain. I was wondering if you could tell me if I scaled everything correctly or I need to change something.

Thanks!!!

US-05 or Wyeast American ale ( what your opinion)
3.00 kg Pale Malt
1.30 kg Vienna Malt
0.50 kg Wheat Malt
0.30 kg Oats, Flaked

10.00 g Cascade Boil 45.0 min
10.00 g Saaz B Boil 45.0 min
12.00 g Cascade Boil 20.0 min
12.00 g Saaz B Boil 20.0 min
19.00 g Cascade Boil 0.0 min
19.00 g Saaz B Boil 0.0 min

Replace the oats with Carapils, and you're pretty much bang on to the recipe I use. Love this beer, make it a lot. US05 is good.

slcmorro said:
Replace the oats with Carapils, and you're pretty much bang on to the recipe I use. Love this beer, make it a lot. US05 is good.
Thanks mate good to know, I thought carapils.

I can't seem to find carapils in Tasmania at the moment, is there any other subs or other names used for it?

It's kilned Weyermann Pilsner I believe. There's not really a direct substitute, but you could maybe use light crystal in it's place I suppose.

I've used Carahell several times in the place of Carapils (because I ordered the wrong one), and in my humble opinion it really is very close.

Just noiticed they've mentioned they changed the hop profile on the web site -

"We wanted Bright to be a tad hoppier, but not too bitter, so we've switched up the hop profile and included Liberty, Crystal, Summer and Pacifica."

Also "thrown a bit of wheat in there" but that's obviously already in the bill above. Will be interesting to see how different this makes the beer.

ASYLUM_SPIRIT said:
Thanks mate good to know, I thought carapils.

I can't seem to find carapils in Tasmania at the moment, is there any other subs or other names used for it?
Carapils is also called carafoam, dextrin malt and sometimes hyphenated cara-pils (although I'd reckon youd get that last one)
I really woulnt be using oats.
Carapils is really just a head booster and not entirely required, although I do use it. If you mash well, you wont need it. Up the wheat a bit to compensate is my advice if you cant find carapils.

Thanks for all the feedback appreciate it.

Seems like I'm almost there, I will try again to get my hands on carapils.

Oats, are they no good in general or just for this brew. I was told by a fellow brewer that he throws them in most beers.

Oats are great, but not needed for this style. Stout and other things are great beers for oat additions.

Latest posts

Back