Little brown pumps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooterism

Reaction score
Anyone know what their original purpose was?

or what machine/system they are native to?

cheers

I think they might have been made for use in solar hot water systems. I'm not sure though. If you search for solar hot water pump on eBay you can find very similar pumps.

nosco is correct they were used for pumping solar hot water so they are food grade . I had one on my boil kettle until I dropped it and broke the head off it . It worked better than my march pump . I now use a KK mkII and for $70 great value no affiliation yadayadayada .

I too use the KK pump as my primary, also have a couple of the brown pumps. Utilizing one now to recirc the water in HLT.

And now thinking of using the other to maybe recirc the water in my HERMS hex, when I get around to building it.

I was just curious as to where the little pumps come from..

Cheers

nosco is correct they were used for pumping solar hot water so they are food grade . I had one on my boil kettle until I dropped it and broke the head off it . It worked better than my march pump . I now use a KK mkII and for $70 great value no affiliation yadayadayada .

Where did you get one for $70 if you don't mind me asking? on the KK site they are $179

Thats a 65w pump. The old 25w pump is $79 and i reckon you can still maybe get it for $70. You can get the Grainfather pump off Aliexpress even cheaper.

I wonder how they perform side to side?
The 65W pumps 52Lt per min @ 6.5 mt head with a 3/4" BSP , that would be great if I were to be pumping around a couple of thousand litres , as I'm only making 23lt of beer the 25W @ 19lt per min with a 1/2" BSP does the job for me . The 65W would be over kill on a small home brew scale and if you were to reduce it from 3/4" to 1/2" BSP you would end up with a fire fighter hose lol .

Last edited:
The 65W pumps 52Lt per min @ 6.5 mt head with a 3/4" BSP , that would be great if I were to be pumping around a couple of thousand litres , as I'm only making 23lt of beer the 25W @ 19lt per min with a 1/2" BSP does the job for me . The 65W would be over kill on a small home brew scale and if you were to reduce it from 3/4" to 1/2" BSP you would end up with a fire fighter hose lol .

It's like you read my mind...

I was just loosely thinking of a bigger pump to help with cleaning duties..

Latest posts

Back