Little Brown Pump - dead?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo1234

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just hooked up all my piping for my new system and one of the LB Pumps seems to be dead?

I used it once last brew and now it won't seem to go? No motor noise coming out???

My second one which I just hooked up is all good so not sure what the problem is.

Are these known to die easily??

Camo

You can try to spin the impeller if it is a little stuck - either pull it apart or spray lots of water down the intake - out of the tap or pressure cleaner if you're brave.

I think they do have a little circuit in there that will stop trying to turn the motor if it stuck (brushless driver circuit) - you have to pull the power, wait a bit, and try again for it to attempt to re-start.

I had the same issue with one of my LBP's, took it apart & cleaned it (which took all of 5 minutes) and it worked perfectly again

Only takes a small bit of grain to get stuck in there & it'll stop

For the cost of 2 brown pumps you can almost buy a kaixin

Pull it all apart and soak the toothed gear looking thingy in hot water and PBW.

The bush in the middle if that gets shit inside and twists the shaft and magnet against the body which stops it from turning.

Search the brown pump thread in the retail section there are photos and I explain it better there.

Mines been working great for over 15 hours of brew time now and hasn't failed.

And run it with the body vertical and at the top if you can.

My LBP shat itself about 15 mins into my first mash this morning. Luckily I had a couple of Kaixin pumps under the bench that I bought a couple of months ago. Quickly wired up the plug and disaster averted. 50 Lt of Bells 2 Heart IPA cubed.

I was so impressed by the way it went I did another 50 Lt batch of Citra summer ale. Played with the brown pump while mashing but its dead. It probably did 15 or 20 double batches. So yeah I certainly got my monies worth out of it.

Mark

After I finish brewing I connect the silicon hose from the pump up to my hot water tap and run a couple of minutes worth of hot water through the pump. It seems to get rid of the sugary crap and leaves it nice and clean inside. So far it seems to restart every time.

having said that i am brewing right now, so karma will probably catch up with me for being smug and it'll be dead

Aces High said:
After I finish brewing I connect the silicon hose from the pump up to my hot water tap and run a couple of minutes worth of hot water through the pump. It seems to get rid of the sugary crap and leaves it nice and clean inside. So far it seems to restart every time.

having said that i am brewing right now, so karma will probably catch up with me for being smug and it'll be dead
On my 3V I always leave 10L in the HLT for clean ups. I then pump this through the system including the HERMS coil etc, so all lines, herms and pump finish with a hot water clean.

QldKev

Even a chugger at 1 1/2 times a kaixin? You can get a Kaixin for around $60 delivered, so this needs to be sub $100 delivered?

I was referring to the polypropylene Kaixin I believe most people have which is rated up to 80c, good for mashout but not if you want to whirlpool the kettle. I beleive scottc1178 got 2 of the high temp mp-15's in for $114 delivered.

The March 809's are about $160 + post. But if you're getting the chugger with s/s head for $150 posted then thats a good deal, so far they seem to be as reliable as the March.

Gryphon Brewing said:
I have something in the pipeline with SS head and impeller for approx $150 maybe a tad under depending on how much import duty I pay :(
Nev
Blew my brew budget on a mill this month, so I guess I can wait for more details Nev. Was looking at one of each of the kaixin pumps( normal and High temp), but that sounds like a bit of a deal there. Will be watching the retail thread closely!

Back