List Smash Recipe's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanteHicks

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have 3 AG brews down now, and I was thinking I need to learn more about the ingredients individual flavors. I plan to do a series of SMaSH recipes, trying different malt and hop combinations.

The one going down next weekend is 5KG Vienna and CZ Saaz to 30ish IBU at 60, 20 and flame out. I will be pitching onto the yeast cake of my lager I am just about to keg.

I have Amarillo, Galaxy, CZ Saaz, and Cascade in ample quantities, as well as Vienna, Maris Otter and Pilsner malts.

Can anyone suggest any other SMaSH combos that might work well? I was thinking MO and Galaxy or Amarillo in an ale, and Pilsner and Saaz in a lager.

I would also like to try Pilsner or Vienna in an ale, how do you think that would that go?

Lots of questions I know, Thanks in advance.

Feel free to also list any SMaSH recipes you have made previously, even if the ingredients are not in my list. It may help other noobs like me.

Smashs have their place, and the ones you mentioned will work fine, however, once you have done one each with mo, pils etc imo it is better to fiddle the malts a bit for complexity. With a new hop i always do the first brew with it as a single hop, possibly with a different bittering hop,but generally multi malts. For ales consider tonys lcba, smurtos rye variation of the golden, orr 97%/3% mo witheither caraaroma or heritage... heaps of other possibilities. Depending on aa i will add 1-2 g/ litre at 15 min and 0 min, and make up bitterness numbers at 45 min. After all vatiety is the spice of life
Cheers
Sean
Code:

I've been thinking about doing a smash wit victory malt and centennial. I have some victory that needs using before the bugs get it

Smashs have their place, and the ones you mentioned will work fine, however, once you have done one each with mo, pils etc imo it is better to fiddle the malts a bit for complexity. With a new hop i always do the first brew with it as a single hop, possibly with a different bittering hop,but generally multi malts. For ales consider tonys lcba, smurtos rye variation of the golden, orr 97%/3% mo witheither caraaroma or heritage... heaps of other possibilities. Depending on aa i will add 1-2 g/ litre at 15 min and 0 min, and make up bitterness numbers at 45 min. After all vatiety is the spice of life
Cheers
Sean
Code:

I'd have to agree.

I think it's why I suggest Perle Ale Malt as the base malt - I learned that from experience. I tried some with Weyermanns Premium Pils Malt - and that was fine. But with the Perle, you get the right malt backbone to showcase the hops better.

Back