List Of Good Sydney Pubs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Likewise a 10min walk to the BnB for me :)

A Hills NoChill brewday feat. AusDB? Bring it on! ;)

Bull n Bush is quite good... Put on a good feed as well (chicken schnitzel looks more like an emu breast!). Up Old Northern Rd there is Hills Tavern (they sell Hunter Brewery beer on tap... quite a nice drop).
If there is going to be a brew day, keep us posted as I should be there for sure!

Hi Guys
Thanks for the offer of a brewday but not sure if I can squeeze it in, I get in Sunday evening 7/5 then work Mon-Fri and fly back out Friday evening. I will be online whilst there so if there's a chance of meeting some AHB crew then I will let you know.

I like the Australian too for it's choice of beers on tap. Bit pricey though... ggrrrrrrr

Just a quick update, thanks for the offer of the brewday but the week was very rushed and I didn't really get a chance to go anywhere. We tried to go to the RCA on Sunday night when we got in but it was shut. We ended up going there for dinner on Wednesday night and had a pretty good night but I couldn't convince any of the other work crew to try the Braidwood ESB.

As for my impressions on the Braidwood ESB I was not entirely convinced, maybe it was the cellaring but it seemed decidedly underbittered with very little hop flavour and aroma. The dominant flavour was a subdued fruitiness and I could detect no similarities to Timothy Taylors landlord pale ale which someone on a previous post said it was like. I have just brewed a copy of TTLLPA and in a standup against the real thing is 90% there according to Guest Lurker who is a guru when it comes to british beer styles.

Cheers and thanks for the offer again, maybe another time I will get a weekend there and be able to get something together.

ausdb said:
I have just brewed a copy of TTLLPA and in a standup against the real thing is 90% there according to Guest Lurker who is a guru when it comes to british beer styles.
[post="126141"][/post]​

Recipes for the unfinished (or perfected) recipe for Landlord would be gratefully received. :beerbang: :chug:

pbrosnan said:
The List
-----------------

1. Redoak Boutique Beer Caf
2. Bavarian Beer Cafe
3. Heritage Cafe
4. The Pumphouse Bar
5. Australia Hotel
6. The Macquarie Hotel
7. The Lord Nelson
8. Lwenbru Keller
9. Palisade (Great view of the bridge)
10. Hero of Waterloo
11. Harbour View
12. Harts Pub,
13. Kirribilli (Great historical politcal articles and 16 beers on tap plus pokies !!)
14. Welcome
15. Equilibrium Hotel
16. The London
[post="111404"][/post]​

I'll be coming to Sydney on Thurs 25 May for 5 days. Unfortunately, I won't have the time nor the brownie points to spend ALL of my time checking out the pubs on this list. Apparently she wants to do other things that aren't beer related! :blink: Imagine that.

I've just spent a bit of time on whereis.com and I'm amazed how close a lot of these pubs are to one another and to where we're staying :super: (at the Meriton Rialto on Pitt St)

Biggest problem is that's a hell of list to get through. Which are the "must visit" 4 or 5 of these as far as quality ales/food goes? (ie. not the usual swill, preferred micro, any AHB affiliates?, etc.) And are there any to avoid at all cost?

Where did I leave my glasses
Steve

SteveSA said:
The List
-----------------

1. Redoak Boutique Beer Caf
2. Bavarian Beer Cafe
3. Heritage Cafe
4. The Pumphouse Bar
5. Australia Hotel
6. The Macquarie Hotel
7. The Lord Nelson
8. Lwenbru Keller
9. Palisade (Great view of the bridge)
10. Hero of Waterloo
11. Harbour View
12. Harts Pub,
13. Kirribilli (Great historical politcal articles and 16 beers on tap plus pokies !!)
14. Welcome
15. Equilibrium Hotel
16. The London

Biggest problem is that's a hell of list to get through. Which are the "must visit" 4 or 5 of these as far as quality ales/food goes? (ie. not the usual swill, preferred micro, any AHB affiliates?, etc.) And are there any to avoid at all cost?

Where did I leave my glasses
Steve
[post="126710"][/post]​

I've only been to three, but The Australian for the pizza, Lwenbru Keller for the sausage and/or meat platter (and barmaids), and one which is not on the list, the James Squire brewhouse at Kings Wharf purely for the outdoor setting of Darling Harbour.

Cheers.

We had some Yank friends out on the weekend and took them to lunch at the James Squire Brewhouse (get the bar menu, not the restuarant menu), then watched the Waratahs lose :angry: at the London in Balmain. It was only the second time I'd been to the London and I loved it. Great Atmosphere and the Yanks loved it.

If you're thinking about food try the Cheese Plate and Pork Pies at the Lord Nelson. I could eat those all day.

I haven't been to all of them, but I'd say the Lord Nelson is a must, a brewpub in an great old building in the oldest part of the city. And the Australian is worth a visit too for the pizza and wide selection of beers. :super:

Stuster said:
ausdb said:
I have just brewed a copy of TTLLPA and in a standup against the real thing is 90% there according to Guest Lurker who is a guru when it comes to british beer styles.
[post="126141"][/post]​

Recipes for the unfinished (or perfected) recipe for Landlord would be gratefully received. :beerbang: :chug:
[post="126148"][/post]​

Hi Stuster

I have finally dug up my recipe for TTLLPA, I found an old thread on it so have posted it there rather than clutter this thread.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...E=02&f=4&t=5869

Latest posts

Back