List Of Good Sydney Pubs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbrosnan

Reaction score
Hi all,

Will be over in Sydney in a couple o' weeks and was working up a list of vistitable pubs in or close to the city. Here's my list so far and I'd appreciate any additions or correction of ommissions. As you'll see I'm sticking pretty close in as I plan on walking most of time (probably safer).

The List
-----------------

1. Redoak Boutique Beer Caf
201 Clarence Street, Sydney

2. Bavarian Beer Cafe
24 York St, Sydney

3. Heritage Cafe
135 Harrington Street, The Rocks, NSW, Sydney

4. The Pumphouse Bar
17 Little Pier Street, Sydney

5. Australia Hotel
Cumberland Street

6. The Macquarie Hotel
42 Wentworth Ave, Sydney

7. The Lord Nelson
Corner Kent & Argyle Streets, The Rocks

8. Lwenbru Keller
Corner of Playfair & Argyle Streets, The Rocks

9. Palisade (Great view of the bridge)
35 Bettington Street, The Rocks

10. Hero of Waterloo
81 Lower Fort Street,
The Rocks

11. Harbour View
18 Lower Fort Street,
The Rocks

12. Harts Pub,
Gloucester St (cnr Essex St) The Rocks

13. Kirribilli (Great historical politcal articles and 16 beers on tap plus pokies !!)
35 Broughton Street,
Kirribili

14. Welcome
91 Evans Street,
Rozelle

15. Equilibrium Hotel
World Square

16. The London
Darling St, Balmain

Looks like a pretty thorough list.

Number 12 Harts isn't open on the weekends.

Also add in James Squire on King Street Wharf (just down from the Aquarium).

Beers,
Doc

Thanks Doc, I've tried to cover most of my favourites hence the Pallisade and The Kirra. Just don't want to miss any that may have popped up since I left in 2003. I still have a soft spot for the Hotel Sweeney (I think that's the name, on the corner of Kent or York) or the Gary Owen in Rozelle, low rent charm. We don't have pubs like that over in Perth anymore, you have to go inot the countryside.

Hi Pbrosnan, looks a pretty comprehensive list. I'm definately a big fan of Heritage and its sister pub, Epoque. An awesome selection of beers. Their site has a good listing of the beers they have, http://www.belgian-beer-cafe.com.au/

Will

Id drop the pumphouse and the Mac(by the sounds of it)

Likewise Kungy, Epoque was a real eye opener for me, the first time I had a Leffe Blond, haven't looked back. BTW if anyone's around Thursday the 16th of March I'd be up for a brew or three at any of these salubrious inner city establishments.

Move the London in Balmain to the top of the list. I love this place for it's balcony & food, & when it comes to beer they have it nailed. You walk in on a Saturday arvo & there is a great mix of people & they are drinking heaps of Coopers. Pale Sparkling, & Dark Ale all on tap. Plenty of Coopers on tap in Sydney, but this place serves the best!
The Welcome is still good & the 3 Weeds is a good spot for lunch. They have some beers from the Lord Nelson on tap there.
Cheers
Gerard

No affiliation with the London, or any other pubs!

The 3 weeds really has a great set up for food, Gary Owen is a great no nonsense old mans pub - no trouble there, The Welcome? I dont like it, the name is a total oxy-moron, if you aren't a regular the punters stare at you most in a most unwelcome manner. One of the only pubs i have ever seen with opaque glass so you cant see a sould inside. Keep walking and hang with the big knobs at 'Dicks' hotel, old school.

If you are at the Australian and in the Rocks in general, I'd add the following from my "Standard Crawl".

After the Australian, try the Glenmore, just up the road. It's a typical alcie bar, but if you go up (a lot of) stairs, there is a rooftop with a great view over the harbour.

On the way to / from the Lord Nelson, stop in for a beer are the "Hero of Waterloo". It's a cute little stone building and quenches the thirst from the walk between the Harbour view and the Lord Nelson (not that it is that far).

Have fun with.

Railway Hotel - Lidcombe.
St George Tavern - Rockdale.
Paddy's Brewery - Flemington.

All excellent blue collar places to unwind after a day @ work.

I'm off to Sydney for work soon as well. The bummer is work is out near Eastern Creek and they have us booked into a place near there. I have tried some of the inner city pubs on previous trips but can't see myself getting anywhere near central Sydney this time.

Any good pubs out Eastern Creek / Blacktown way? I have been to some little old place in the middle of nowhere (off a freeway exit near Arndell Park) that had a few JS beers on tap but thats all I know.

its not too far away (closer than the city) but the mean fiddler is not a bad pub and i dont mind the bull and bush either.

another pub to add to the list of good sydney pubs is the ivanhoe in manly. great place to go for lunch.

The Bull n Bush at Baulkham Hills is great. Just go to the back, new section rather than the front, old section IMHO.

The Mean Fiddler at Rouse Hill USED to be good. They've done SO much renovations in the last 6mths that it's barely recognisable - and the reno's still haven't finished. They now have their own night-club & bottle-shop. The beers on-tap are nothing out of the ordinary if you ask me - Standard Guinness, Killkenny, Newcastle + all the regular aussie bottled beers beers.

Since the reno's started, our once regular visits have basically stopped.

Tim.

oh forgot about teh cricketers arms. it gets my vote too.

Tseay said:
Try the Cricketers Arms at Prospect, quite close to Eastern Creek. They used to have Cask Conditioned Braidwood ale on Pump.

Thats the one I was referring to! its a bit of a tradition to go there for lunch on the last day of a training course. I didn't see the Braidwood there last time but if we go again will keep an eye out.

i had a braidwood brew at the cricketers a couple of months ago but it doesn't taste quite right, it actually tasted pretty wrong and stale.

I'd also vote for the Bull 'n' Bush. They've got Golden Ale on tap now and on thursday nights they can have some pretty good bands

Tseay, good call!

AusDB, The CA is right near the Blacktown/Prospect Drive-ins - you can't miss it :)

The Bull & Bush is a little ways from Eastern Creek, if you are going to make that trip let me know as I live about 10 minutes walk. If you want to travel a little, The Mean Fiddler on Windsor Rd is a good spot for a couple of weekend ales, surprised to read Phraks comments about it, IMO I think it is better than the Bull & Bush.

Maybe a 'No Chill' brewday NW Sydney boys at my place with ausdb? One to think about.

Cheers.

Back