LiquorCraft / BrewCraft / Australia home brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peekaboo_jones

Reaction score
You shagging the owners daughter ? Charging $9 for 50g of POR seems on par with the rest of their prices. Highway robbery really.

Whose got an owner's daughter...... Where??? Where???[emoji14]

wereprawn said:
You shagging the owners daughter ? Charging $9 for 50g of POR seems on par with the rest of their prices. Highway robbery really.
Yeah guess the hops are a bit of a rip off. Similar price to Grain and Grape and The Brewer's Den to be honest.
Fair point, FWK are very economical...

Just saying they have a pretty good selection of recipe kits even compared to Coopers ROTM which plenty of people here purchase.

Anyway you know best

That business in not just about hops... I've already seen a product I want which I've never seen elsewhere.

Thread declared a success.

My thanks to you OP!

Thanks for sharing Peek - the kit market should not just all be about Coopers (though I have nothing against them). There are some really good kits being made by the likes of Black Rock and Mangrove Jack. It is a rewarding part of the brewing education playing with different hops, spec malts, yeasts and the like whilst doing kits.

Good that you like the shop.
To me they are like the 7-11 of brewing and I've heard multiple stories from new brewers receiving bad advice, old or unrefrigerated yeast or hops.

Everyone deserves a chance.

$18 per 100g!!! Have a look at my prices!

I'm about to bottle the LiquorCraft Mountain Goat Steam Ale kit, and next to brew is their Feral Hop Hog project kit.

I was a little disappointed about the hops/yeast not being kept in the fridge - I'm not sure how long they keep this stuff on the shelf. But I wanted to give them a go and see what they're like. I've got the recipe cards now so can always make up my own next time.

Their main stock of hops and yeast is refridgerated. The hops and yeast they pack into their beer kit packs (with tins of malt etc) are taken from this refridgerated stock on an as needed basis as they replenish shelf stock of the kits. The shop is airconditioned too so the yeast and hops in the kits aren't subjected to extreme temps while sitting on the shelf for a short time before sale and use. I asked them about this earlier this year and they said customers could swap out the hops and yeast for the fridge stock if they wanted, and even change the type of yeast or hops if they wanted.

Also, the Brewcraft chain changed ownership recently, so any poor experiences from days of old might need to be recast in light of the new regime.

I agree that some of their stuff is a little pricey. The best products they sell IMO are their 'Brewclean' non-detergent brewery wash and their 'Brew Sanitize' sanitiser.

Feldon said:
Their main stock of hops and yeast is refridgerated. The hops and yeast they pack into their beer kit packs (with tins of malt etc) are taken from this refridgerated stock on an as needed basis as they replenish shelf stock of the kits. The shop is airconditioned too so the yeast and hops in the kits aren't subjected to extreme temps while sitting on the shelf for a short time before sale and use. I asked them about this earlier this year and they said customers could swap out the hops and yeast for the fridge stock if they wanted, and even change the type of yeast or hops if they wanted.
I didn't think to ask about swapping bits of the kit. I'm still new and that was the first shop I went to, to get my gear and start up. I was very impressed with the guy at the Richmond store, very friendly and good advice. I'm keen to try their Sierra Nevada IPA kit next.

awolf said:
I didn't think to ask about swapping bits of the kit. I'm still new and that was the first shop I went to, to get my gear and start up. I was very impressed with the guy at the Richmond store, very friendly and good advice. I'm keen to try their Sierra Nevada IPA kit next.
I spoke to the people in the Oakleigh store.

Also note that you can usually get a cheaper price by ordering their products through their ebay site and arrange to pick up your order from the Richmond or Oakleigh store (never tried it but assume pick up might need a few days notice).

Eg. 4kg Muntons light dry malt:
$39.95 purchased instore (http://www.liquorcraft.com.au/afawcs0133827/CATID=0/SUBID=407/ID=438/SID=262702764/productdetails.html )
$36.95 purchased via ebay site and pick up instore (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Light-Malt-Extract-Muntons-4kg-Dry-Malt-Lager-Malt-Pale-Home-Brew-Beer-Brewing-/280641643238?hash=item41578ba2e6:g:kvcAAOSwPhdVSEtK )

Or that Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA kit you're thinking of brewing:
$74.90 purchased instore (http://www.liquorcraft.com.au/afawcs0133827/CATID=0/SUBID=399/ID=7178/SID=223523225/productdetails.html )
$68.90 purchased via ebay site and pick up instore (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Beer-Recipe-Kit-Sierra-Torpedo-Extra-IPA-home-brew-kit-beer-kits-hops-malt-yeast-/281934350545?hash=item41a498c8d1:g:L20AAOSwezVWvmnE )

Gee, didn't expect there'd be such a decent saving doing it the eBay way. I'll definitely take advantage of that next time. Cheers for the heads up.

awolf said:
I'm about to bottle the LiquorCraft Mountain Goat Steam Ale kit, and next to brew is their Feral Hop Hog project kit.

I was a little disappointed about the hops/yeast not being kept in the fridge - I'm not sure how long they keep this stuff on the shelf. But I wanted to give them a go and see what they're like. I've got the recipe cards now so can always make up my own next time.
Awolf, how did the kit turn out? These guys are my go to for hardware and I've got a kit from them too. I can't bring myself to order online with support the locals ringing in my head, but some of the kit prices are hefty. Good folks but I've noticed there's a good degree of price difference with online stores. I guess coming into warmer weather the yeast temps etc are worth some more thought. But the mail order business is pretty strong around Australia so what does hat say about the viability of yeast?
Always happy to hear of a well regarded online/local store people use?!
Cheers
Sam

Latest posts

Back