Liquid Yeasts And Transport

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goat

NULL
Reaction score
I an having difficulty locating liquid (pitchable) yeast in Perth and am thinking about mail order from somewhere on the east coast. If I do this I assume that the yeast will be transported at ambient temps (ie not refrigerated) - is this a bad thing? Is it better to stick with dry yeasts? TIA
BTW its 42deg in Perth today....

Goat said:
I an having difficulty locating liquid (pitchable) yeast in Perth and am thinking about mail order from somewhere on the east coast. If I do this I assume that the yeast will be transported at ambient temps (ie not refrigerated) - is this a bad thing? Is it better to stick with dry yeasts? TIA
BTW its 42deg in Perth today....
TWOC brewing, its in some markets just off stock road. They stock a lot of WYeast smack packs there :) Theyre in the phone book too.

I've ordered wyeast smack packs from Grumpys in the past and had no issues with them being transported at ambient, yeast has still worked fine.

edit - TWOC also stocks an alright range of hop flowers (whole) such as cascade.. It seems a fairly good store :)

Another way to obtain liquid yeast is to track down a bottle of Coopers Sparkling Ale from your local :rolleyes: Pour contents into a couple of glasses and save the last of the dregs (about last 40cm of beer) add some sterilized sugar mixture (approx 100ml) put on an airlock and keep warm for few days. should be ready to brew with in 5 days.... :D

:ph34r: I know its South Australian stuff...but it makes good real ale... :chug: I have been using it this way for a few years B)

Thanks JWB - I tried that with a Chimay some time ago with very little success. I am (slowly) getting myself together for a larger brew (marzen) - what would you suggest that I could use to make a larger starter - I'm happy to experiment :) . Goat

Goat said:
I tried that with a Chimay some time ago with very little success.
The problem with culturing yeast from a bottle is that it has to be pretty fresh to have any success at all. By the time Chimay - and any other Belgian beer - gets to our stores, they are usually way past the "fresh" mark. They are still excellent beers, but you wont find any viable yeast left in the bottle. Coopers, Little Creatures etc... are a different matter however, and I plan on making a pale ale sometime soon with a cultured Little Creatures yeast.

Cheers,
Pete

:chug:

PMyers said:
Goat said:
I tried that with a Chimay some time ago with very little success.
The problem with culturing yeast from a bottle is that it has to be pretty fresh to have any success at all. By the time Chimay - and any other Belgian beer - gets to our stores, they are usually way past the "fresh" mark.
Cheers,
Pete

:chug:
well actually i think most breweries pasturise beer, coopers are one of the few AFAIK that don't pasturise their beer... ;)

(pasturise: to heat-treat and kill any bacteria within, ie: yeast)

so no yeast no good, you might have actually cultivated a wild yeast :unsure: they do this to make 'sour dough' bread...

Goat said:
what would you suggest that I could use to make a larger starter - I'm happy to experiment :) . Goat
just make sure that they don't pasturise the beer before selling it... :)

like check on the web pages perhaps, but you probly need to call them about it...

they might also not like the idea of you using their product in this way, to produce your own product, but as it's only for personal use i'm sure they won't mind telling you... B)

Time to resurrect a post that last saw action over 3 years ago :D

I was thinking of reculturing the yeast from an LCPA bottle or two, but upon searching the forum I found this post and this post only.
I used the terms LCPA Yeast, Little Creatures Pale Ale Yeast and Little Creatures Yeastthis is the only thread I found with any mention of it... :huh:

Anyone else tried it? Anyone know what strain it is? Is it a particular bottling strain? Good for reculture? Results? Blah, blah?

PZ.

Fingerlickin_B said:
Anyone else tried it? Anyone know what strain it is? Is it a particular bottling strain? Good for reculture? Results? Blah, blah?

PZ.
[post="121371"][/post]​

Little Creatures use a different strain for bottle conditioning. Don't know more than that...

Cheers Ross

Fingerlickin_B said:
I was thinking of reculturing the yeast from an LCPA bottle or two, but upon searching the forum I found this post and this post only.
I used the terms LCPA Yeast, Little Creatures Pale Ale Yeast and Little Creatures Yeastthis is the only thread I found with any mention of it... :huh:

The bottling yeast is definately diferent the creatures have said so over on grumpys a while back I think.

The real yeast is supposed to be a closely guarded secret but at a recent talk in Perth Dr Chris White of Whitelabs let slip that Little Creatures received a fresh batch of WLP001 every two weeks direct from Whitelabs. As we were commenting on the lead time and limited range at the LHBS who orders off the australian distributor.

You can make what you want of that :excl:

Mmm, very informative, thanks guys :)

Sounds like from what you've both said it mightn't be the best idea to use it in primary...but my usual ideas are far from good, so I think I'll give it a shot anyway :chug:

Wish me dumb luck :lol:

PZ.

Back