Liquid Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Pratt

Reaction score
Hi all,

does anyone else have a harder time removing the residue from there fermenter after using liquid yeast?

I normally use dry yeast without a starter for cost purposes and on the few occasions i have used liquid yeast, cleaning the fermenter is alot harder....a bit of a hassle actually

Fermenter is a coopers 30lt plastic.

:D

No harder then usual. I just spray mine out with hose connected to tap in laundry then put oxyper in it and fill up to over the point of the yeast crust. Let soak overnight or few days empty rinse sanitise done

i just fill it up with nappisan and let it sit for a couple days then just hose it out, never had to scrub at all that way :)
might sound lazy but it avoids scratching anything

I use liquid yeast and mine just get an overnight soak in hot water and a cap full of sodium perc.

Id say its temp or because liquid has given better kraussen ie higher, so top of kraussen is left to dry out longer before fermentation is finished thus a little harder to clean.,

As said, nappy san etc.will fix it

Hi all,

does anyone else have a harder time removing the residue from there fermenter after using liquid yeast?

I normally use dry yeast without a starter for cost purposes and on the few occasions i have used liquid yeast, cleaning the fermenter is alot harder....a bit of a hassle actually

Fermenter is a coopers 30lt plastic.

:D
Yeast is yeast, it's going to do it's stuff if it comes in liquid, dry or on a slant.
I don't think 'difference' (if there is any) is due to it being in liquid form, but rather that you prepare it differently.

If - for example - you make a starter with your liquid yeasts but not dry yeasts - the starter should provide a large quantity of happy healthy yeast resulting in a 'better' ferment than if you just sprinkle dry yeast on the wort.
If that's the case it's not really a wet/dry yeast thing, but your preparation and pitching methods - it could even be that the different types of yeast mean that you pitch vastly different quantities of viable yeast into your wort.

No problems here either.

Overnight napisan soak, three or four hot rinses in the laundry, then upside down on a clean fresh towel to drip dry. Seal up ready for next use.

Edit: i actually never scrub or wipeout a fermenter at all. Swirl up yeast cake, down the drain (unless im gonna reuse it), get the hot water hose and spray insides to dislodge as much crap as possible, backflush through the tap, drain that too, then start the napisan treatment. Havent used manual labour for atleast 12 months now....

Depends which yeast. I've had issues with getting krausen rings off the outside of fermenters before - where they have a chance to dry out completely.

I find the german wheat and belgian ale yeasts make the crustiest scum rings.

For the easy ones I use cold water and a cap of napisan; for the crusty ones (or if in a hurry) I use 2 caps and warm water ... done in 2-3 hours.

To save water and Napisan usage (I use pure Sodium Percarbonate which is a Rottweiler) get a $8 20L bowl with handles from Woolies and invert the hosed-out fermeter to just above the krausen ring, using the tap to allow air to escape and leave overnight. No krausen in the morning.

fermenter_cleaning.JPG

To save water and Napisan usage (I use pure Sodium Percarbonate which is a Rottweiler) get a $8 20L bowl with handles from Woolies and invert the hosed-out fermeter to just above the krausen ring, using the tap to allow air to escape and leave overnight. No krausen in the morning.

View attachment 53122

What about the rest of the fermenter though bribie?

The other thing is if doing double batches and using two fermenters instead of the 60lt fv, you gotta wait for the bowl to be available to clean the second scum ring.

Turn upside-down & soak overnight in 100% Sodium perc as per Bribie's sketch above but just replace the grommet with a Clark Rubber "blank" grommet.

BN, Don't know about Bribie but a light scrub with a dedicated :p round-ended toilet brush the next day works fine. Fermenters are years old & still going strong with no apparent scratches.

TP

Boiling water is the key. Boiling water and napisan or pure sodium percarbonate or anything in between will clean grandma's undies after a typhus outbreak that has been closely followed by an arctic blizzard.

just put another cube on top of the old yeast :lol: . Eventually the inside gets so dirty with yeast that i don't imagine anything else could survive in there.

Or napsian

ok so the general consensus is, soak over night then clean up, can do.

let the record show that I always use paper towel for the removal of the yeast ring on the fermenter. :D :D

thankyou.

What about the rest of the fermenter though bribie?

The other thing is if doing double batches and using two fermenters instead of the 60lt fv, you gotta wait for the bowl to be available to clean the second scum ring.

I've got two bowls :p
Actually the rest of the fermenter after a hose out and a wash with dishwashing liquid and a dedicated yellow cloth is simple to clean up, it's just that yeast ring that annoys me. So once that has been digested I don't find residue anywhere else in the fermenter.

Before replacing the tap I dribble some Starsan onto the thread and through the hole into the fermenter and screw the tap back in so that the thread is lubricated with pure Starsan, then add water and swish the fermenter, cling wrap and rubber band, and put away for next brew.

Back