Liquid Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theredone

Reaction score
Hey all,

yesterday i had the better half grab a recipe from Ross on her way home, i failed to mention that the liquid yeast needs t be kept cold, as a result it sat in her car untill i got home from work :(

it was in the car for about 5-6 hours, at around 18 degrees, ish.
would it still be good to use?

thanks guys

red

Hey all,

yesterday i had the better half grab a recipe from Ross on her way home, i failed to mention that the liquid yeast needs t be kept cold, as a result it sat in her car untill i got home from work :(

thanks guys

red

It should be fine. Smack the pack, if it swells up you are good to go. I have had this happen to me before and know plenty of people who buy yeast mail order and it survives.

Rurik

Hey all,

thanks guys

red

Yup, it will be good to go. You want the pak at that sort of temperature in any case once you smack it, so getting it to 18C is fine.

Yep, yeast are hardier than we give them credit so smack it and see what happens, there's every chance it will swell normally and be pitchable a little later.
If it doesn't swell, which would very much surprise me, then pull out plan B- make a starter. Unless the few hours in the car has completely autoclaved it, there will be some population remaining to use as a seed culture. Obviously, if you've got the wort waiting for the resulting starter, it would be best if it was no- chilled as the starter make take a while. However, I doubt that will be necessary.

I think one of our American / Canadian members (Newguy IIRC?) inadvertently left a smack pack under the seat of his car for a couple of months and it came good. I accidentally froze one for two months - absent mindedly put it into a snap top full of hop foils - Now what the hell happened to that Wyeast ?????? <_< - could have sworn I had an Irish Ale........ anyway I think I'll use Admiral for bittering, haven't used that for a couple of months - just getting it out of the freezer now ............. EEEEKKKKKK :p

Fired up ok after a couple of days, yeast cells can be bloody tough when they want to be.

I think one of our American / Canadian members (Newguy IIRC?) inadvertently left a smack pack under the seat of his car for a couple of months and it came good. I accidentally froze one for two months - absent mindedly put it into a snap top full of hop foils - Now what the hell happened to that Wyeast ?????? <_< - could have sworn I had an Irish Ale........ anyway I think I'll use Admiral for bittering, haven't used that for a couple of months - just getting it out of the freezer now ............. EEEEKKKKKK :p

Fired up ok after a couple of days, yeast cells can be bloody tough when they want to be.

hahahaha righto cheers all for the confirmation.... brew day is till on!!!!!! :)

red

Latest posts

Back