Liquid Yeast Supply Chain & Frequency Of Shipment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowanb

Reaction score
What is the supply chain regarding liquid from the USA? Are there key Australian distributors supplying retailers, or do retailers deal direct with the US companies, or is it a bit of both? What would be a typical time period between production in the US and availability from a local retailer?

The freshest ive got it is a month after production.Cheers

What is the supply chain regarding liquid from the USA? Are there key Australian distributors supplying retailers, or do retailers deal direct with the US companies, or is it a bit of both? What would be a typical time period between production in the US and availability from a local retailer?

I can't speak about whitelabs as I have no experience, but Wyeast have a list of their resellers on their website.

Going back a few years there was a healthy supply chain with a number of distributors getting regular shipments from the USA, and wholesaling to retailers over a wide area. Homebrewers had access to a wide variety of fresh yeast strains.

This all came crashing down when one 'wholesaler' started selling to homebrewers at wholesale prices and this killed the market for the legitimate wholesalers. There are now a lot of different retailers directly importing yeast in dribs and drabs.

It takes 1 week for the yeast to be produced and 3 days to ship it to Australia.

HTH,
Dave

if its a really popular strain it can be as young as 2-3 weeks old.I always look at the packets at the back of the display....bit like when you buy the milk.

I buy all my liquid yeast from a sponsor who, conveniently, is overnight for me as I live in the same city and I get it sent out with gelpacks. From time to time the Wyeast list on the sponsor's site is suddenly pretty dire, but obviously that's because they have run out of a number of lines and are waiting for a shipment to land. Then everything comes good and I can order just about anything.

I'd rather it be like that, than have the dealer over-order on a lot of lines just to keep the stock list looking pretty, but end up with many of the less popular varieties getting to be months old. I just keep my eyes peeled and order appropriately.

Got my couple 1469s in the fridge :icon_chickcheers:

edit spalin'

I had a smack pack from CB that was like days old.

Im post mad tonight, I go the half price packs over 6 months old

I allso got myself a 1469 hope its allright like yas all say

There's an australian lab called proculture that are putting out some interesting strains, but I cannot find any local suppliers. It would be nice to know that a yeast has been in transit for less time than a US>AU flight, and to also support local industry. Anyone used this brand?

http://www.proculture.com.au/

No idea if Wyeast & Whitelabs have exclusive patents on their strains, for all I know proculture could be the very same.

Gryphon brewing sell em, I think they're fixing a issue with their containers atm though?

Pat from Absolute Homebrew posts a pre-order thread in the retail section every month or so.

cheers

grant

There's an australian lab called proculture that are putting out some interesting strains, but I cannot find any local suppliers. It would be nice to know that a yeast has been in transit for less time than a US>AU flight, and to also support local industry. Anyone used this brand?

http://www.proculture.com.au/

No idea if Wyeast & Whitelabs have exclusive patents on their strains, for all I know proculture could be the very same.
Intrested in these yeasts but get no reply to enquiries by email.

Intrested in these yeasts but get no reply to enquiries by email.

As far as i am aware pro culture will only sell to a retailer. And currently they are fixing an issue with the container lids. I pretty sure they supply yeast to some Brew on Premises in the perth area. But can't send yeast safely till they fix the lid issue.

Have used proculture on trial batches and all great, just about to swing commercial batches to their products. Service, supply and quality of product is excellent.

Proculture are a bit different in thier orientation, they are seeking to work with brewers on thier micro management and fermentation rather than just being an out and out supplier. Anyways, support a local business I reckon!

Scotty

Gryphon brewing sell em, I think they're fixing a issue with their containers atm though?
Yes Felten that's correct, I am just waiting on the OK from Proculture to get them back on the site. The guys are very particular about the product and will not let it go out if its not 100%. As /// mentions they offer a lot more services than just packaged yeast to home brewers, their expertise is exceptional. ATM they are looking at a buy back system on the used containers, so if you buy a yeast at $X.00 when you have used the yeast you can return the container and get a credit on your next purchase. I think its a great idea ? A company trying to keep it a little bit green.
GB

Yes Felten that's correct, I am just waiting on the OK from Proculture to get them back on the site. The guys are very particular about the product and will not let it go out if its not 100%. As /// mentions they offer a lot more services than just packaged yeast to home brewers, their expertise is exceptional. ATM they are looking at a buy back system on the used containers, so if you buy a yeast at $X.00 when you have used the yeast you can return the container and get a credit on your next purchase. I think its a great idea ? A company trying to keep it a little bit green.
GB

That sounds like an interesting idea, Nev. Can't wait til you've got them back on board.

Cheers, John.

I have used Proculture Wood Ale - it's more 1469 than 1469 and the vials cultured up in less than a day, mixed up a starter in the morning and it was trying to claw its way out of the Schott Bottle by evening.

GB sent them with gel pack and they arrived nice and cold within 36 hours, not bad from Perth to Bribie Island, and that was in the summer. I'll definitely swing to using Proculture varieties if they come back on stream again as the ones I tried were more lively than Wy, are local and simpler to use and store than a smack pack. No real price advantage but the quality was 110%

Latest posts

Back