Liquid Yeast Storage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter

Reaction score
Hello all , just got back into brewing some kit beers- hadn't done one for 6 months-busy busy busy (no excuse)
I bought a packet of wyeast american ale about 18 months ago and made a starter batch out of it (made about 6 stubbies).
How long does the yeast last? is it still ok to use? They have been in the fridge all this time sealed up -has any one had any experience with old yeast?
Cheers, Peter.

They will probably take some time to build up and get started. However, they will probably be ok. There just won't be a lof of healthy cells left. Make sure you make your starter a few days out from brew day.

I am now drinking a very pleasant lager made from 2206 Bavarian which I grew from a second generation sample put in the fridge in Oct 04. By the same token , I recently started up then discarded a 12 month old 1098 which formed a white scum and smelt and tasted a little sour. So the answer is suck it and see (literally).

Back