Liquid Yeast Or Dry Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelbVTBrews

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've come across some good articles lately like this one about using dry yeast except with a few high gravity styles - http://koehlerbeer.com/2008/05/23/dry-yeast-v-liquid-yeast/

What do the local experts reckon?

I've had some strange experiences with Wyeast lately - fermentation of ales but no movement out of the airlock at all. Might be a leak somewhere that i can't detect but my fermenters are in good nick...could it be under-active liquid yeast instead? The temp range has been kept around 18-20C give or take a degree but not much more.

Dry yeast and lager?

...I'm about to put a boh pilzner on - thinking of going with the Saflager 34-70 instead of the Wyeast 2124 or 2278. If the temp natural temp range in the brew spot is 12-14, will i get away with only 1 saflager dry pack?

Looking fwd to getting some local input :)

Cheers,
MVT

You can't make good beer using dry yeast.. :p

Cheers

Paul

This is the type of question that you can ask 5 guys and get 10 answers.
Fact is you can make great beer with dry yeast, I just choose not to.
I will say that I am using the Wyeast 1056 American Ale at the moment but when I have expired all that I will be going back to US-56 Dry. This dry yeast takes off faster, ferments quicker and flocs better and I cant say there is any diff in taste, although I have not done a side by side, but with the amount of hops I use in APA's yeast flavours are well down the list of identifiable flavours :)
As for Lagers, I always use Wyeast. Theres more choice in yeast, and it just makes good beer. Never bothered with dry Lager yeast.

Steve

I love 34/70, have made some very nice smooth crisp lagers with it.

1 pack at low temps may be pushing but will work, hydrate it well before pitching and give it a d-rest towards end of primary at 16-18 for 2-3 days to clean up
any wierd flavours then cold condition for 4-5 days before bottling.

You can try just a small starter if able, but better to use 2 packs or make a good starter if you can.

don't think of liquid vs. dry. decide what characteristics you want from the yeast and choose the yeast you want to use based on this. I tend to use a fair bit of liquid yeast as there is alot more variety and I can get a fair bit of mileage out of it, but there are some good dry yeasts available as well just there isn't one for every style.

don't think of liquid vs. dry. decide what characteristics you want from the yeast and choose the yeast you want to use based on this. I tend to use a fair bit of liquid yeast as there is alot more variety and I can get a fair bit of mileage out of it, but there are some good dry yeasts available as well just there isn't one for every style.
Thats true, I have kept a single pack of Wyeast going for years. I always split and rinse the first yeast cake and store in bottles. That way I store enough so I only need to make a 1.5L starter to fire it up for a nice cold pitch.

The best yeast is the one that was stored correctly and has the longest stretch before the 'best before' date comes around.

Having said that, I've made a fine APA using a sachet of S05 that was sitting in the console of my ute for months.

I kept ignoring it as I thought it to be a KFC moistened towelette. True story.

Yep cant agree more.
As home brewers we are really really spoilt for yeast choice. Find a yeast that best suits the beer and your tastes then make sure you pitch loads of it fresh and healthy.

I use Mr malty and always underestimate the amount of yeast i have and overestimate by 15 - 20% the amount i want to grow / pitch.
Coupled with accurate temp control you are on your way to making the best beer you can.

Edit: IN response to your question about the lager. Of your brewing standard 23L batch and plan on pitching at 12deg, all costs aside me personally i would rehydrate exactly according to directions 3 X packs of dry yeast. BUT that's just me, if you start out at 18 - 20 then can drop the temp down to 12 in the first 24h you could get away with one pack, but i do not think it would be as good, just my humble opinion.

+1, I couldn't tell you if a brew was done using a dry or liquid yeast. If just the variety that you need to choose to suit the style.

QldKev

I've currently got a bottle of yeast sitting in the fridge, it's US-05 from a previous brew and I'll use it in an American Wheat.

It's a liquid yeast now B)

Sounds like a good philosophy. Seems the real trick is culturing your own yeast from the diff style yeasts we have. That's another question altogether and def in the book of things to do.

So probably the next good question to ask is if ppl have good links or tips on how to grow your own without major risk of mutation?

Sounds like a good philosophy. Seems the real trick is culturing your own yeast from the diff style yeasts we have. That's another question altogether and def in the book of things to do.

So probably the next good question to ask is if ppl have good links or tips on how to grow your own without major risk of mutation?

Have a look at the sticky threads at the top http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showforum=30

I used to be a liquid yeast snob, but lately whether through laziness or convenience, dry yeast has suited my needs and I'm very happy with the results. Mind you, there are varieties of yeast just not available in dry form so keep an open mind.

Underpitching yeast is supposed to increase the amount of esters produced which is something you don't want in a lager.

Back