Liquid Yeast In Melbourne?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
does anyone is melb. buy liquid yeast and if so where from?

I went to my brewcraft shop on the weekend to find they dont have it - the guy behind the counter didn't know of it, and couldn't help me with buying some malt grain to try out a partial mash

P.S the liquid malt (1Kg)= about 1.3Kg of malt grain by weight?

if so their grain was not overly cheaper, i thought it was cheaper - and made a better beer. (this was not cracked!)

somthing like $4 for 500g $10 2Kg

do these prices sound a bit much or are they ok? I will still need to crack it

I have 3 kits to perfect and then i'll try the mash and/or liquid yeast.

I have started using day old yeast starters, as well as 2nd racking, only 18Lt of beer with dry malt added (to make a more malt beer) rather than 2 tins of malt.

I am using Saflager S23 or whatever its name is (I'm at work) yeast - packets

bought a heap of different hops to try there different effects.

(looking to make a very nice Boags prem -home brew style) once i can make this i will try other styles

Grain & Grape? :) They have one of the best ranges of grain in australia, and are the australian WYeast distributor.

www.grainandgrape.com.au

With dried yeast such as DCL/Saf products you dont really need to make a starter. They have more than enough viable cells in the 11.5g packet. You'd be better just rehydrating them for 10-15mins before you pitch them.

Yep, Grain and Grape are a great source for Wyeast liquid yeasts. They're just behind Highpoint shopping centre in Maryburnong. If you're gonna get into liquid yeasts I'd suggest making a starter - that way you can pitch half the starter into your wort and bottle the remainder for the next time you want to use that yeast strain.

is anyone else having trouble getting into the grapeandgrain website?

Re cracking your grains, your brewshop should do this for you for free. If not, they are not worth shopping at again (especially if they have not heard of liquid yeasts!!!) :eek:

Thanks for all the above, I will be going to grain and grape on tuesday

ESP with gas $13 per yr rent, i am paying $7.95 a month

I will try some liquid yeast's, maybe look at trying a mini mash - bit scared of the extra exuipment needed (hence cost)

I have 4 more kegs coming now so more room to store the beer.

I just have to find a way of keeping the dam stuff cold enough :( poor lager yeast, its ok once its going but the initial start pushes the temps up to 20deg mark (using a kit yeast at the moment so not so worried as it wont work to cold but i want to fix my brewing ways before i take the next step)

P.S The main adv of grain is its fresh untill cracked? once you crack it, it then start's to loose its "freshness" so buying a heap of cracked grain is not the way to go??

Buying racked Grain

I dont think there is any problem in buying Cracked grain.
Store it in air tight containers and you should not have a problem...

This is what i do ATT ...until iget my Barley crusher grain mill from...

www.barleycrusher.com

Still need 2 more people to come in together to get this at 89.00 USD plus 70.00USD postal freight with 4 - 6 weks delivery.

I've been told any cara / crystal / black grains, ie any that can be steeped, are fine to be stored cracked.
However, any grains which need to be mashed should be stored whole, and cracked fresh as you need them. Was something to do with the enzymes being exposed, I cant remember what exactly. Basically they go "old".

Latest posts

Back