Liquid Malt Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopdog

Reaction score
Hey guys, where does everyone buy their liquid malts from? I always bought mine from country brewer but my local store has closed down. Can I buy it in bulk online or do i need to use drymalt??

If you don't have a local HBS any more then just buy dry malt extract online. Most online place will sell liquid, but dry is obviously cheaper to ship.

Considering how prehopped cans can often be picked up cheap, would it be worth it to get these and then boil them to remove the hop flavours you don't like? Then add your own hops? I never see LME on special.

Considering how prehopped cans can often be picked up cheap, would it be worth it to get these and then boil them to remove the hop flavours you don't like? Then add your own hops? I never see LME on special.

How would you remove the hop bitterness? Theres not much hop flavour/aroma in most cans anyway.

If you try it, the "Blonde" beers or lagers would be your best choice I think.
I wouldn't boil the cans though as the bitterness would probably get stronger.
Just dry hop with hops of your choice and add any specialty grains etc.

You'll end up with darkened wort from all of that extra boiling

Yeah good points, guys. It seems like it would be a better idea to skip the boil.

If you try it, the "Blonde" beers or lagers would be your best choice I think.
Just dry hop with hops of your choice and add any specialty grains etc.
I agree, Cooper's "Lager" goo is pretty much LME to me, I cannot taste any bitterness or aroma from these... Good as core fermentable.

Back