Liquid Culture Yeast, which to use & how much?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvellotti

Reaction score
I have been home brewing for a while now and only brew kit beers (mainly coopers) in kegs only, just because I find it quick simple and I seem to get a reasonable brew. A friend of mine who has also been brewing for a while, suggested I try liquid culture yeast. He tells me you will get a completely different taste to the beer. I would like to give it a try and as I am simple, which liquid culture should I use as a general use, so many to choose from see the link - http://www.homemakeit.com.au/collections/home-brew/White-Labs-Yeast . I mainly brew Coopers Lager, Ale or Blonde.

Also for $9.95 (one batch), do you use it all in one brew or can you split it into 2, 3 or 4 brews?

Can you culture it and if so how would you do it?

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I tried searching and couldn't find anything, happy for someone to post a link, if there is another thread on this.

Local Adelaide brewer

gvellotti said:
which liquid culture should I use as a general use, so many to choose from see the link... I mainly brew Coopers Lager, Ale or Blonde.
WLP001 is a good all-round yeast. It is an ale yeast, but you could make a faux-lager with it.
WLP862 Cry Havoc, might be worth a look. It's designed for both ale and lager use.

gvellotti said:
Also for $9.95 (one batch), do you use it all in one brew or can you split it into 2, 3 or 4 brews?
You can split it, and then grow the numbers back up by using a starter. Or you can just use it all in one go.

gvellotti said:
Can you culture it and if so how would you do it?
Yes. This is called a "starter". A starter is where you add the yeast to some malt, and let it feed for sometime, building up its population. There are recommended processes that should be adhered to.

This should get you up and running: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/54900-basics-of-making-and-using-a-yeast-starter/

Thanks Spiesy, very helpful.

Some further questions to Spiesy or anyone else that can help, as I am very simple person:

1. If I bought the liquid yeast culture, could I simply just keep it in the fridge until required and then pour say 1/4 into my brew each time (essentially using it 4 times over a 6 month period)?

This is what I would like to do, are there draw backs and/or issues doing this.

2. Could I mix the purchased liquid culture in with 4 litres of water & malt ferment it over a week, then bottle this in 4 x 1 litre batches in my fridge, then use these each time as required?

I prefer option 1 to avoid the chance of infection, as I always try and minimise my steps to avoid this.

3. Anyone know a place in Adelaide that sells good liquid cultures?

gvellotti said:
Thanks Spiesy, very helpful.

Some further questions to Spiesy or anyone else that can help, as I am very simple person:

1. If I bought the liquid yeast culture, could I simply just keep it in the fridge until required and then pour say 1/4 into my brew each time (essentially using it 4 times over a 6 month period)?

This is what I would like to do, are there draw backs and/or issues doing this.

2. Could I mix the purchased liquid culture in with 4 litres of water & malt ferment it over a week, then bottle this in 4 x 1 litre batches in my fridge, then use these each time as required?

I prefer option 1 to avoid the chance of infection, as I always try and minimise my steps to avoid this.

3. Anyone know a place in Adelaide that sells good liquid cultures?
1: You really need to keep the yeast Vita so keeping for 6 months isnt great, you can, but you need to do a starter each time. because of this, Ive recently taken to Freezing Samples on Glycerine its is a very simple process really..

2: No.

3: BrewAdelaide is local for you mate.

Latest posts

Back