Lion To Purchase Little World Beverages

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if you guys are aware but JS has *always* been owned by Lion/Tooheys, it was the old Hahn brewery they bought and when Chuck started JS there it became known as the Malt Shovel Brewery but still owned by Lion/Tooheys.

Current changes down there are more about marketing and scale (the beers move around between MSB, Swan and Lidcombe AFAIK depending on demand etc) than any ownership change

The Mad brewers range is all MSB camperdown i believe
One of the big changes made by Lion-Nathan (as it then was) was to move production of Golden Ale, Amber and Pilsner to SA Brewing in Adelaide (about 4-5 years ago). This changed the profile of the beers significantly; enough that I stopped drinking the Golden as my regular drop.

I'm a LWB share holder and I'm not happy. I bought the shares because they had a good business model, good products, good consumer will and good market intrusion. So far I've made 200% on my investment and it was looking like I was going to make much more than that. Now I'm going to be forced to sell my shares by some giant corporate monolith with no real interest in quality beer.

NOT HAPPY JAN!!! :angry:

Cheers - Snow.

I'm a LWB share holder and I'm not happy. I bought the shares because they had a good business model, good products, good consumer will and good market intrusion. So far I've made 200% on my investment and it was looking like I was going to make much more than that. Now I'm going to be forced to sell my shares by some giant corporate monolith with no real interest in quality beer.

NOT HAPPY JAN!!! :angry:

Cheers - Snow.

Maybe see GRB share price (partly owned by woolies) and brewing under contract.

Alternatively, wait until another brewery floats?

200%, given the condition of the market over the last 4 years is pretty good, though from an idealistic POV it mightn't be.

I wonder if the association with Fremantle will be kept. It's sad looking at the abandoned Matilda Bay brewery in Freo.

Hopefully Lion Nathan manage to get rid of the "rusty nails" taste in bottled LCPA. :D

So I'm not going crazy?
I only ever drink LCPA at Grill'd, but every time it tasted like the cap had rusted or something.

So I'm not going crazy?
I only ever drink LCPA at Grill'd, but every time it tasted like the cap had rusted or something.

Lion Nathan will slowly reduce this rustiness until it's a faint reminder of what it once was.

Pretty much done and dusted says the workers. SB the first to go? Short odds?

Fat chance... Plenty more to come.

While i am not doubting there are more SB's to come, i doubt they have entire stability in the longrun. Someone like Lion Nathan is more likely to place funds in consistancy and return. Short run SB products don't match that. I'm sure they will be there in the future in some form.

Back