Lion introduces "Tap King" - party keg / growlers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liam_snorkel

كافر
Reaction score
Brews News understands that the Tap King system involves a ‘caddy’ that will sit in a consumer’s home fridge and for which they will purchase 3.2 litre PET bottle refills. The caddy will cost around $25 dollars and the beer refills will cost approximately $22, representing the equivalent of approximately $2.90 per 425ml schooner or $1.96 per 285ml pot. Apparently five beers are currently planned to be sold, including James Squire Golden Ale, XXXX Gold and Toohey’s New.
http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2013/03/hotel-industry-furious-at-lions-plans-to-roll-out-tap-king-home-draught-beer-system/?fb_source=pubv1

scon said:
Be interesting if this can be modded for the home brewer...
Surely if you can get a refill at the pub you can refill off your own taps. Anyone know if you can still get 3L PET bottles?

The full article is confusing.

Publicans are upset that people are already staying home to drink beer instead of going to the pub. They hate this idea that forces people to go the pub to buy their beer. What the actual ****? Morons.

bum said:
The full article is confusing.

Publicans are upset that people are already staying home to drink beer instead of going to the pub. They hate this idea that forces people to go the pub to buy their beer. What the actual ****? Morons.
That's what I thought...could they actually but that stupid?

no I think the 3.2 litre bottle refills will be disposable and thus bought from the bottle shop.

"Lion is reportedly selling the move as something that will support on-premise draught sales."

The word "support" here instead of "supplement" (and "re-fill" elsewhere) indicate to me that they're looking at an actual fill system rather than a swap and go type of deal.

bum said:
"Lion is reportedly selling the move as something that will support on-premise draught sales."

The word "support" here instead of "supplement" (and "re-fill" elsewhere) indicate to me that they're looking at an actual fill system rather than a swap and go type of deal.
Thats the way i read it as well.

tricache said:
That's what I thought...could they actually but that stupid?
"we faced the same issue with premium beers such as Corona"

Yes... yes they could.

Ok. So why do they only plan on having it available for five of their beers? If it's a refill system shouldn't it be available for all/any lion beers?

I read it like its a swap and go type thing. Probably not even swap and go.. just a disposable bottle you use and chuck out.

For a start, what hotel is going to fill up a 3.2l bottle for you for only $22? As they said its $2/schooner or thereabouts. Even if it is a refill, there is no margin in that for the pub. The regular schooner price at my local is at least $5. More for something decent.

Has to be a swap and go.I think when they said "on premises" they were referring to customer's premises... ie: draft beer at home. And we all know just how jolly civilized that is.

Cheers
Dave

Liam_snorkel said:
Ok. So why do they only plan on having it available for five of their beers? If it's a refill system shouldn't it be available for all/any lion beers?
Good point. Marketing decision maybe?

You might be correct and the article is just a little loose in terminology. But either way if you can only get them at pubs (which the article seems to be fairly clear on, I think) then how does the publican lose if some people stop buying their beer at the supermarket?

[EDIT: added quote]

Liam_snorkel said:
Good point Liam, perhaps the pub does their own fills but have them ready to go? That would of course lead to sanitation and carbonation problems.

Publicans lose because people buy their beer and go home.

So people avoid hanging around pub, spending $150 on alcohol when all they wanted was a "few quiet beers" with mates, people having 5 beers and getting on the pokies and blowing $100 of their pension, eating because they have been at the pub for 5 hours drinking like maniacs, etc, etc, etc.

And you could bet the refills will have no margin in it all.

Guys, bars cannot do growler type refils from 50L kegs without all sorts of licences & excise hurdles. You can pretty well guarantee it will be a disposable system.

cheers Ross

I don't give a **** about the hotels association (which really is just woolies & coles) whingeing. - I'm more interested in the caddy system for home brew use. If it takes standard size PET bottle thread even better.

What makes me wonder is where the **** do they get 3.2L from?

angus_grant said:
Publicans lose because people buy their beer and go home.

So people avoid hanging around pub, spending $150 on alcohol when all they wanted was a "few quiet beers" with mates, people having 5 beers and getting on the pokies and blowing $100 of their pension, eating because they have been at the pub for 5 hours drinking like maniacs, etc, etc, etc.

And you could bet the refills will have no margin in it all.
scon said:
Who's going to play the pokies if everyone buys their beer and goes home?
It seems fairly obvious to me that this is about getting people who are already drinking at home to buy beer from the pub. Most people would probably grab a jar while they're in there as well. I mean, it'd be rude not to...

Back