Limited Range Of Dried Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobW

The Little Abbotsford Craftbrewery
Reaction score
Anybody know why the range of dried yeasts is so limited compared to liquid yeasts? Is it to do with processing costs that make the production of large quantities of a small range more economically viable than small quantities of a large range? I would have thought there would be a ready market for a larger range.

I think the processing is a factor, esp for lager yeasts, dunno why

I stock safale 04, Saflager S23 and 34/70
Danstar Windsor & Nottingham
K97 wheat/Ale yeast

6 dried yeasts, Lallemand will release two more next month but that may just be the 34/70 and K97

I used to stock Danstar Manchester, but now can only get it in 10K packs, way too much unless a lot want to buy 500g bags of it, it is a nice yeast. Danstar London has not been produced for a while.

There is also Munton's gold, know nuttin much about it.

Any other dried yeasts anyone can think of?

Jovial Monk

I always thought that there were less dry yeasts about because few brewing strains survive the dehydration process. Those that survived and were desirable became the strains we know and use now. Those that don't are only sold in liquid form.

My HBS guy was telling me the other day, (actually he's said it about 3 times now) that he is going to get a dried version of the Wyeast American Ale (1056? fom memory??) this month, and that it was s'posed to be great. I told him I was keen if he got it in and he reckoned he's got a long list of people waiting for it to arrive. Anyone else heard about this new yeast? Sounds good if it is going to become available...

Shawn.

A quick update from the DCL guys in Melbourne - expect the "American 56" ale yeast early Feb. Sadly though there will be no W68 strain Hefeweizen yeast. That particular strain simply will not dehydrate properly and they have abandonded the project. Bummer...

Wes.

hmmmmm 1056 is 'awesomely neutral'

That means lots better yeasts available. Safale 04 is pretty neutral, hmmmmm

Jovial Monk

a neutral yeast is one that emphasises neither malt or hop flavors or adds much flavor itself

Try WY 1028 and see how awesomely it boosts the malt flavor

jovial Monk

Jovial_Monk said:
hmmmmm 1056 is 'awesomely neutral'

That means lots better yeasts available. Safale 04 is pretty neutral, hmmmmm

Jovial Monk
Not a fan of safale, leaves a yeasty bite to the beer IMO. Love Nottingham yeast however, brought 500grams back from UK I loved it so much. :D

C&B
TDA

TDA,

Did you declare the yeast to customs when you came back in ? Did you have any problems ?
I'm off to NZ in a couple of months and was hoping to slip in a kilo of hop pellets. The regulations say you can bring it processed hops (eg pellets) but I'm wondering if it will just be a hassle.

Beers,
Doc

Bringing in a kilo of leafy material in a plastic bag. Can't see any problems there :D

Doc, it was vacuum sealed so they had no problems.
Hops I think would be another matter.

C&B
TDA

I dunno why you brought it back from the UK, it is available here!

Pellet and plug hops from anywhere can be imported, as can malts. Make sure you have good documentation (HBS invoice, leaflet from the manuf etc) Fron NZ you can legally import whole hops.

Import includes bringing in on flight back. Do not let Customs confiscate/destroy whatever you have legally brought in. I have had some battles with AQIS but have always got my stuff.

Jovial Monk

Jovial_Monk said:
I dunno why you brought it back from the UK, it is available here!
Because it was given to me at the Blencowe brewery, that's why!

TDA

Latest posts

Back