Lime marmalade.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

431neb

Reaction score
I'm boiling some up as we speak. If it turns out OK I'll post the recipe.

Hardly makes a dent in the lime supply. Only uses 8 or so . We chucked 60 in the bin last week and there's the same again on the ground now.

Has anyone ever made a hard lemonade kinda recipe out of limes? I've looked around on the net and most of them seem too friggin' hard. There must be some "turbo cider"-esque recipe for lime hooch?

Also what are members thoughts on using a bit of no-rinse sanitiser on some clean jars for storing my product? In reality we will probably consume it before any bacteria really take hold. It's just some of the sterilising /sanitising bullshit the grannies go through for some jam seems over the top.

I just wash jars well, and before filling fill with hot water. Fill with marmalade and invert, just like a no chill beer the heat will kill any bugs.
Lid sucks down like a bought one and have had some that were lost in the downstairs fridge that were over 2 years old and were fine.

Where are 431neb? If Adelaide we could trade kilos of limes for kilos of lemons and have a few home brews before we admit there is no way we can use that much citrus.

Melbourne cremmerson. Building an ark.

I made some alcoholic lemonade once but it was shit. That was also a long time ago and I hadn't harnessed the raw brain power of AHB.

Buying some good tekela and filling up on Mojitos might be the best idea.

Wash jars and lids well then into oven at 100 to 110 degrees C to dry. Fill with hot jam put lid on tightly and invert. It is basically the no chill method for jam/marmalade it's how I do it works great, I normally get through what I make in about 6 to 8 months and have never had to chuck a jar.

Make cordial. Chop the limes. Soak in water for a few days with a bunch of sugar and some citric acid. Easy as.

Ill dig up my recipe when I get home.

Cheers
Dave

My lime tree has only yielded 2 limes this year.
I'm spewin..

Thanks for the suggestion Airgead. I'm not much of a cordial fan so the effort vs the reward is looking a little out of balance on that one. I wonder if all these limes could be fermented and then distilled? Alas no still.

Dave, come and get some of these buggers. Your tree will find it's feet soon (I'm guessing it's a young one?) . I'm very proud of my lime tree but my avocado is my pride and joy. We got 40 last year and theres 30 on it now. I'm hoping the numbers increase as the tree ages. It's about 5 years in the ground now I guess.

431neb said:
Thanks for the suggestion Airgead. I'm not much of a cordial fan so the effort vs the reward is looking a little out of balance on that one. I wonder if all these limes could be fermented and then distilled? Alas no still.

Dave, come and get some of these buggers. Your tree will find it's feet soon (I'm guessing it's a young one?) . I'm very proud of my lime tree but my avocado is my pride and joy. We got 40 last year and theres 30 on it now. I'm hoping the numbers increase as the tree ages. It's about 5 years in the ground now I guess.
Yeah, it's not even two years old to be fair.
I also have an avocado on the go. Raised it form a seed in the kitchen. Its about 4" and powering. Knowing my luck it's be one of those ones that wont throw fruit.

Oooh. Shit Dave. Don't waste time with Avo's from seed. Some never fruit and some take ten years.

Cue every fucker in Melbourne with a seed grown avocado that fruits prolifically......

If you are somewhere that gets a bit nippy and need an upright tree (most avocado spread a fair way) then you can't go past a "Bacon". No it's not named after what you used to eat before you started eating avocados . The breeder was a Mr Bacon.

Hass are cold tolerant too, but wide.

You can get 600mm high Bacon saplings from Mildura ask a local nursery. I'll post a pic later. It's awesome.

PS my tree is 8 years old. Just saw a pic of my wife digging up the old hills hoist where we put the avo'.

As a lime grower can you please explain why limes are a dollar each in the stores? Like about ten bucks a kilo or something. It's been like that for about 12 years and nothing ever seems to change, you would think that producers would have jumped in and made a fortune. Strange.

Bribie, no idea. Seems to me they jump outta the ground.

Dave, as promised

IMG_2372.jpg

Much nurtured tree.

IMG_2371.jpg

The fruit - I pick the blemished ones first so they don't tarnish my tree. I know I have a problem.

IMG_2373.jpg

Lime tree. Starting to taper off I see.

431neb said:

Pm with recipe sent.

Latest posts

Back