Lime Cerveza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshld

Reaction score
G'day,
I'm planning on putting down a lime cerveza this weekend for the holidays,Just wanted some help with the recipe...
Coopers Mexican cerveza500g LDM500g Dextrose20g Amarillo or Cascade hops???
And any ideas on what the best yeast would be or just use the kit yeast?

G'day,
I'm planning on putting down a lime cerveza this weekend for the holidays,Just wanted some help with the recipe...
Coopers Mexican cerveza500g LDM500g Dextrose20g Amarillo or Cascade hops???
And any ideas on what the best yeast would be or just use the kit yeast?
Mate I wouldn't bother with any hops, the coopers cerveza kit is already hopped to like 16 IBU's which is fine for a cerveza.

Definitely get somethig like their "Brew Enhancer 2" in there, or if you have the separate ingredients already add 700gm light DME, 300gm each of Dextrose and Maltodextrin. That'll get you to a 4.8% alc after bottling. The kit yeast would work fine (I assume you're doing this as an ale, not a lager), but if you want to try something different use S-04 or US-05 yeast. Probably the latter given the crisp end you'll want on the beer. If you're going to pitch the yeast dry (and you might as well), just make sure your wort is around 20/21, get really good coverage of the yeast across the top of the wort (i.e. don't pitch it all in the one spot)...put the lid on your FV and leave it for 30 minutes before given giving it a good swirl/shake around until you think it's mixed in well.

And keep your temp as close to 18 as you can during fermentation.

Cheers for that, I might give the US-05 a go this time around.
I forgot to add in about the lines..Juice of 2 limes and the zest of 1 lime all boiled in 500ml for about half hour??

I forgot to add in about the lines..Juice of 2 limes and the zest of 1 lime all boiled in 500ml for about half hour??
I'm concerned about the acidity of the lime juice...if you want to get the lime in the beer (rather than adding a dash or slice of lime as you drink) I'd reckon just the zest, taken off the outside of a sanitised lime with none of the white pith from the inside as it's the really bitter part. If you add it after primary fermentation is mostly complete, perhaps ever after racking to a secondary, you shouldn't have to worry too much about infection as the wort now contains alcohol.

The problem you have with adding to your wort is if you get it wrong (i.e. too bitter/limey) you've blown a batch....i honestly think you're better putting a slice of fresh lime (or a dash of good lime juice/cordial) into your beer as you drink it rather than trying to infuse.

I've brewed this kit with US-05 at 18 Degrees with 15gm of steeped Saaz for 20mins + BE2 + 500gm of LDM.

Tastes great, but thats how I like it - YMMV

Joshld
I tried some lime extract in a Cerveza and it wasn`t good to start but after 3 months it had mellowed a bit. Drank it all but am adding the lime in the glass for the next Cerveza. Also this one is just the tin plus 500 gm LDME and kit yeast. On bottling I took a sample and added the lime and it was fantastic. I could have drunk the lot right then.
Stewie

Back