Lilly Pilly Berry Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a few Lilly Pilly bushes on the footpath outside my home and they are beginning to fruit, the fruit is usually eaten by birds, flying foxes or falls to the ground. Today I thought about using some of the berries in my next brew.

I have never used anything other than the usual K&K ingredients in any of my brews, but I would like to try these.

They have a slight tartness to them, which is something I'm eager for in the fairer sex, but not sure how it will go in a beer. ;)

My plan at this stage is to put a can of unhopped Thomas Coopers Wheat LME and an unhopped TC Barley LME, 250g dextrose, 250g lilly pilly berries and wb-06 yeast.

I want to be able to taste a hint of the tartness in the finished beer.

Has anyone got some advice on what would be the best way to use the berries?
Should I boil them, or just squash them and add them to the ferment?
Is 250g enough?

Should I just let them be eaten and/or fall to the ground?

I would be checking on toxicity of lilli pilli berries, I may be wrong but I believe they are not fit for human consumption for some reason.

Lilly Pilly = edible. Quite tart, though, and kind of woody. Not much juice in them.

Lilly Pilly jam and chutney has been made for years, apparently. There could be varieties that have different levels of good or bad properties though.

Cool. Go for your life then.

Latest posts

Back