Lillipilly In Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchish

Reaction score
A few question in one post.

1. Has anyone tried using lilly pilly's in a brew?

If you have:
1.a.) how did they turn out?
1.b.) how potent are they for flavoring a brew (i.e how much did you use)

Not having any fresh fruit available (out of season) all i have is some home made lilly pilly jam.
2. is the extra sugar in a jam going to cause issues? (xxxx sugar issues or to much fermentables) or is the ammount to small to worry about?

I was thinking of doing a lighter ale or maybe a blonde to test the waters with the jam in the secondary.
If all goes well maybe moving into an actual fruit beer when they are back in season.

Cheers Mafro

Welcome to AHB Mafro.

Just from my experience tasting the fresh fruit, I would suggest that they are pretty astringent, and would probably become moreso once you have fermented the sugars out of them. They leave a taste in my mouth that is similar, but different to eucalyptus, and I would think that this could be left in the beer. The astringency could actually assist a crisp finish if you got it right.

You might consider pectic enzyme if you do try adding the jam and want a clear beer.

You could just guess the jam sugar amount and calculate it was a part of your overall fermentables if you are keen to hit a specific amount of alcohol. It will be determined by how much jam you intend to add, estimate the amount of sugar, and subtract that from your malts.

1. Has anyone tried using lilly pilly's in a brew?

If you have:
1.a.) how did they turn out?
1.b.) how potent are they for flavoring a brew (i.e how much did you use)

I've just bottled a lillipilli saison. Used 190g of stewed lilipillis in the primary after main krausen activity had quietened down, but also added some other spices in the boil: coriander seed, star anise.

Too early to give you a definite answer, but initial tasting suggests more berries would be better, to stand out against the spices.

Check back in 3 or 4 weeks.

John

ive made cordial with them, definatley need a bit of sweetness to balance. fairly soft flavour. i had shitloads of them for a brew but didnt get there in time ...they got funky in the fridge. next time hey.

sim

Latest posts

Back