Like, stop saying "Like"...Like...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Until the 1960s, "fantastic" and "fabulous" meant "unbelievable" but during the swinging sixties the words took on the meaning, in popular speech as wonderful.

Then In the 1970s the word "unbelievable" took on the meaning of fantastic and fabulous.

:unsure:

Judanero said:
I guess the only thing that I find annoying in the current vocabulary trend (if that adequately describes it) is the overuse of the adjective "amazing".
I find it hard to believe that a bowl of chicken bosciola is amazing. I don't know why but most times I hear something is "amazing", I can't help but think "Is it? Is it really amazing?".
Yeah. Amazing is the new unreal.

We have an old guy here at work who is still stuck in the eighties and says GROUSE. That shit went out by early 90s FOSHO.

My partners 14 year old daughter instead of laughing at something funny will just say LOL.

My boss says Low hanging fruit, touch base, it is what it is, swings and roundabouts,

Im surrounded by them... its totes LOL

Truman said:
I think Yeah, Nah is a WA thing. I lived in Broome for 18 years and everyone says Yeah, nah.
Pretty big in these parts as well. As much as I hate it, I find myself saying it sometimes.

Judanero said:
I guess the only thing that I find annoying in the current vocabulary trend (if that adequately describes it) is the overuse of the adjective "amazing".I find it hard to believe that a bowl of chicken bosciola is amazing. I don't know why but most times I hear something is "amazing", I can't help but think "Is it? Is it really amazing?".
Ungrateful sarcastic little shits.

When I lived up north I started adding a 'hey' to the end of things. Slowly fallen out of it.

Monty Python used to take the micky out of us Oz with the common expression "Too Right" ... (Bruce)... but seems to have gone out of fashion...

Strewth... you're right!

Goose said:
What about these ? (from linkedin) I found the list amusing for some of us white collar's...

1. Going forward
  2. Drill-down
  3. End of play
  4. Touch base
  5. It's on my radar
  6. No brainer
  7. Best of breed
  8. Low hanging fruit
  9. Reach out
  10. Dive deeper
  11. Think outside the box
  12. Positive momentum
  13. On my plate
  14. At the end of the day
  15. Run the numbers
  16. Touch points
  17. Keep your eye on the ball
  18. Back to the drawing board
  19. Get the ball rolling
  20. Bang for your buck
  21. Close the deal
  22. When the rubber hits the road
  23. Shift paradigm
  24. Move the needle
  25. Game-changing
  26. Move the goal post
  27. Value added
  28. Win-win
  29. Across the piece
  30. All hands on deck
31. 30,000 foot view
32. Helicopter view
33. See the big picture

Our company is now "earning the right"

Also have a passionate dislike for people putting inspirational quotes on the bottom of emails. "With my thoughts, I create life". FFS!!!!!

Mintox is another word that seems to have dropped from use. I think it was a WA thing.

Strewth cobber. Never heard of Mintox. Please Explain to an Eastern States resident.

In Sydney I have noticed the Melbourne term "Bogan" slowly replace the Sydney "Westie" over the last 10 years or so.

tavas said:
Also have a passionate dislike for people putting inspirational quotes on the bottom of emails. "With my thoughts, I create life". FFS!!!!!
I have a dislike for "motivational" posters and "team bonding" camps

With the exception of " There is no I in TEAM, but there is a you in ****"

Mintox means awesome, totally awesome. Abbreviated to "mint".

I still drop mint from time to time. It's part of my inner Bogan.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I have a dislike for "motivational" posters and "team bonding" camps

What about male bonding stu ? A lot that seems to go on in here :D

Thats just as fckn bad.

I preffer " getting shitfaced with the boys"

Latest posts

Back