Like, stop saying "Like"...Like...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose

0 Warning Points
Reaction score
This word is beginning to drive me nuts.

Seems to be a stopgap for a brainfade when someone is talking and they seem unable to find a word to express one thought to the next.

I am trying very hard to stop my teenage daughter to stop using the word as a wild card. Thinking a 50c penalty per 'like' from her allowance might work... any ideas ?

The other one is the adjective used to describe support or degree of agreement. Totally. Totes. argghhhhhhhhhhh.

Am I like totally intolerant ? ....totally. Totes guys. :blush:

stop-saying-like.jpg

So um, you like totes acknowledge why people do it. Having a "Stopgap for a brain fade" is a natural thing to do. Like, get over it. I am sure you had some words that made your parents annoyed and I am sure your daughter will have the same with her kids. It's totes just a thing.

Mr. No-Tip said:
So um, you like totes acknowledge why people do it. Having a "Stopgap for a brain fade" is a natural thing to do. Like, get over it. I am sure you had some words that made your parents annoyed and I am sure your daughter will have the same with her kids. It's totes just a thing.
Totally. Like... how old are you ?

A linguistics professor was lecturing to his English class one day. "In English," he said, "a double negative forms a positive. In some languages, though, such as Russian, a double negative is still a negative. However, there is no language wherein a double positive can form a negative."
A voice from the back of the room piped up, "Yeah, right."

Mr. No-Tip said:
Filth, hell, hideous, sick, mad, bitchin'. Just a few from years back. My old man hated it and wondered how could any of these words possibly mean good or great or excellent or brilliant.

But I agree goose. umming and ahhing doesn't sound nearly as dumb as a dozen likes per sentence. It may be old fashioned but damn it, it makes sense!??

I'd rather an umm or ah then a like. Sounds a whole lot dumber IMO.

I still remember my mum always asking why things were referred to as 'sick' and 'mad' when they were supposed to be good..

The US. They seem to have been saying it (and also mocking themselves for saying it) for years.

Twas the viral saying before things went viral.

that is so totally awky guys. so not cool.

somebody mentioned how the US rubs off here. but this is an American owned site right ?.... just sayin.

The Associated Press
Published Friday, December 20, 2013 7:11AM EST

POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. -- When it comes to phrases that annoy, it looks like it's "whatever" forever.

Pollsters at Marist College in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., found that Americans considered "whatever" to be the most annoying word or phrase in conversation for a fifth straight year.

Thirty-eight per cent of adults polled said "whatever" was most annoying in conversation, followed by "like" at 22 per cent and "you know" at 18 per cent. Bringing up the rear were "just sayin,"' and "obviously."

The telephone poll of 1,173 adults living in the continental United States was conducted Dec. 3 through Dec. 5 and has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.9 percentage points.

Back