Lightstrike From Incandescant Lamps?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Lawrence

Blow me eric8
Reaction score
Lightstrike, does it occur from incandescent lamps, or is it only from direct sunlight?
Im condinering putting a lamp in my fermenting fridge to bring the temp up (using the fridgemate on heating mode) but worried about lightstrike. If i cover the lamp, it will probably blow (or start a fire) within hours due to overheating.
Had a bit of a search for an answer but couldnt find too much, other than arguments weather it even exists or not.
Probably should be brewing lagers this time of year, but Ive been growing up some 1388 for a belgian strong and really want to get it going. The lower temp for 1388 is 15 degrees. Current temp in the fermenting fridge is 12. Need to get it up a tad.

Gregor

edit:Spelling

it's a UV thing, and by nature of incandescent light globes they definitely do put out UV and hence can cause light strike. Not as much as the sun though. With the amount of UV they put out it would take signifcantly longer. Especially since the fermenters most of us use are mostly opaque. Unless your fermenting in glass I wouldn't worry.

Also, it seems standard to cover them, they dont explode. Get a 25W globe and put an old plate or ceramic pot or something over it. I've seen it done at least a billion times without failure.

Lightstrike, does it occur from incandescent lamps, or is it only from direct sunlight?
Im condinering putting a lamp in my fermenting fridge to bring the temp up (using the fridgemate on heating mode) but worried about lightstrike. If i cover the lamp, it will probably blow (or start a fire) within hours due to overheating.
Had a bit of a search for an answer but couldnt find too much, other than arguments weather it even exists or not.
Probably should be brewing lagers this time of year, but Ive been growing up some 1388 for a belgian strong and really want to get it going. The lower temp for 1388 is 15 degrees. Current temp in the fermenting fridge is 12. Need to get it up a tad.

Gregor

edit:Spelling

Incandescent light is are not as bad as sunlight or fluros, but why take the chance? Why not just use some bottles with hot water to raise the ambient temperature in the fridge. The fridge being insulated it shouldn't make it too much work, without running the risk of skunked beer.

Instead of using an incandesant light, you can get heat bulbs which emit no light. These are used in reptile enclosures or chicken hatcheries as a heat source and fit into a normal light globe socket.

Your local pet shop may have them in stock.

Cheers,

TS

Incandecsant lamps dont produce UV rays.... which is the cause of light strike, but I would go with a heat pad or belt, much much better for the job :)

Interesting,
Normal window glass passes 90% of light above 350nm and blocks 90% of light below 300nm.
UVB - 320 to 286nm, burns the skin and damages cornea and ocular lense
UVA - 400 to 320nm less intense than UVB but more penetrating, can reach and easily damage the retina.

Further reading suggests that poly-vinyl alcohol tinting can stop UV penetration through glass but glass does filter UV and the thicker the better.

Perhaps we should not be worrying so much about the colour of the glass we put our beer in but moreso it's thickness.

I was just trying to work with what I had on hand, but it might be better to just buy a heat pad or belt.
I dont like my chances of getting one today, so it looks like the starter will be going back in the fridge to be started up again during the week.

Gregor, I use a tall narrow table lamp with a 60W frosted globe in the fridge with my fermenting vessels. Wouldn't be worried unless using a blacklight bulb (UV Bulb) or a GroLuxe or some other UV type globe.

Cheers,

Screwy

Back