Light Dry Malt Extract Without Diastase

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod

Reaction score
I ordered a 20kg bag of light dry malt extract and when it come to the HBS
it had the following label

Bintani

light dry malt extract without diastase

a search on this site suggests that dme without disatase is preferable
sayes that diastase , an enzyme , is broken down by boiling

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...amp;hl=diastase

a post by postmodern on Mar 9 2004 in this forum said

My 25Kg Bintani DME sack is labelled "Without Diastase". So I guess if your HBS buys Bintani to make its 1Kg packs, the answer would be "no".

suppose I am just confirming it should be ok to use

I would asume its the correct malt for fermenting beer, the diastase is an enzyme that will continue to convert all malts into sugar leaving the beer with a less than preferable mouth feel, however the diastase can be reduce when boiled but boiling dme enhances the colour of the wort the more it is boiled.

Perfectly acceptable malt, probably the most widely used DME in Australia, funny as it sounds in 30 years of brewing I have never seen a DME or LME for that matter that has Diastase.

Diastase being a somewhat outmoded name for Amylase, it refers to any enzyme that will convert starch to sugars (there are hundreds) in brewing its mostly alpha and beta Amylase, like most enzymes they are denatured in the production process (usually at well under boiling temperatures).

Use it; you have probably been using it in the past just without the word Diastase on the label.
Mark

Back