Light dry malt extract boil/no boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willbrewry

Reaction score
I'm about to brew a coopers Canadian blonde beer with 1k dry malt extract and then dry hopping it. How long should I boil the dry malt extract for?

Advice would be great

Are you adding any other hops to the recipe other than dry hopping?

If not, you shouldn't need to boil the DME (just add it to the fermenter with the already bittered canadian blonde tin).

Reedy said:
Are you adding any other hops to the recipe other than dry hopping?

If not, you shouldn't need to boil the DME (just add it to the fermenter with the already bittered canadian blonde tin).
Only dry hopping mate

+1
No need to boil, but I find dme is a bitch to dissolve. Mix well in hot water to remove clumps.

Put the DME in the bottom of the fermenter with a couple of litres of cold water. Swirl the fermenter like a mofo. Add tin and top up with more water. Piece of piss

So no need for even letting it sit in boiling water to sterilise it

willbrewry said:
So no need for even letting it sit in boiling water to sterilise it
Its already sterile, unless its been sitting around in the open

I've never had an issue with it. Same with adding fermentables for natural carbonation. As long as they are stored in a clean container then it's not a problem.

As Yob says, DME mixes beautifully in cold water. Add your tin of goo, top up with cold water, dump DME & whisk the bollocks out of it. Mixes in a charm & aerates the wort also.

+1 for using a whisk and cold water , works a treat every time ,

Cheers Stu

stewy said:
As Yob says, DME mixes beautifully in cold water. Add your tin of goo, top up with cold water, dump DME & whisk the bollocks out of it. Mixes in a charm & aerates the wort also.
I gave up my whisk a long time ago, traded it in for a big **** off paint stirrer.. Tip, use them in reverse to stop hop debris sticking in the joins ;)

Yob said:
I gave up my whisk a long time ago, traded it in for a big **** off paint stirrer.. Tip, use them in reverse to stop hop debris sticking in the joins ;)
Heh. Good thinking.

I was going to pick one up from bunnies the other day but wasn't sure how clean I could keep those joins.

You use one of them painted steel helix style stirrers, right?

Back