Light bulb heater in fermenter cabinet....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGibbon

Reaction score
If I put a light bulb in my cabinet to boost the heat up when needed, do I have to worry about the light it produces?
Or is it day-light that's more the issue?
Or should I cover the bulb somehow to stop the light leaking anyway? (I'm thinking upturned flowerpot with bulb inside.

Cheers!

i use an old t-shirt pop it over the fermenter...just in case the light from the globe does affect it.

I use a light bulb in my fermenting fridge, although it is mounted in a terracotta plant pot with another pot on top.

The light warms up the terracotta & holds the heat a bit longer than an open bulb. The only light from it is through the hole in the top pot, which would not be as bright as the fridge light that comes on when you open the door.

The light will affect your beer. I use an outdoor spotlight. The kind that you see with the sensors, they are cone shaped with a screw in flat glass cover. They have a small halogen globe inside. I've got a 40 watt globe in mine and I cut out a round disc from galvanised sheet metal that goes inside to block the light. Works perfectly for me. I just Velcro the base to the compressor hump behind my fermenter.

I use a red-coloured halogen floodlight in my brewfridge. I find it makes my beer go faster.

reptile ceramic heat lamps?? Normal Screw type connections.... simple to setup

this is what i will use

Yeah, I think I'll either go the ceramic heat lamp or the belt heater. Are belt heaters ok? Ive read things about un-even heating?
Thanks

Seem to work fine for me. Tie them around your fermenter above the tap line

Back