Life After Kit Beer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ODDBALL

Reaction score
Having just completed my second kit beer and looking around this forum I have decided to go to a partial brew for my next project.

I would like to do something along the lines of tooheys old or an old style english bitter, something with plenty of body and reasonably strong.

What do you guys reckon? Should I discuss it with the HBS or has anyone here got a suggestion on what to get?

I am really enjoying this hobby and the first brew I made tastes as good as VB or Fourex (I know that is not saying much but you know what I mean) So I am looking to get better and to be able to make some really good beer for when my friends visit from the UK over Christmas.

Cheers. :super:

I think this is the one.

Copied form Jayses post on the link above.

jayse said:
i have a extract recipe.
it may be a little more complex than what your after johnno.it requires steeping grain and boiling wort with hops etc.so its a full extract recipe and requires a 10 litre boil for one hour so not really a kit extract recipe.you'll need a big pot.

i beleive that msb may actually use a lager yeast and from memory also use wheat anyway this extract recipe is based on the guidelines for porter.

for 20 litres (for 23litre or whatever just increase the dry malt.)
2 x 1.5 cans coopers unhopped malt extract.
250 g dry malt extract
450 g 80L crystal malt (or 350g 120L crystal such as cara aroma)
120 g black malt for a robust version or 230 g of choc malt for a standard brown.

50g kent goldings 60 minute boil

14-28g kent goldings added ten minutes before the end of the boil.

i guess you could get away with using safale or notingham dry yeast but i would use london ale 1028.

soak all grain in 3 litres of 66c water for 30 mins.strain out the grain and had another 5 litres of water then bring to the boil.
once boiling add all the extract and return to the boil then add the 50 g of goldings and boil for 50 minutes.then add the other 28g goldings and boil for another 10 mins.
remove from heat and place pot in a sink of cold water keep replacing the cold water untill the wort has cooled reasonably. then chuck it in the fermentor and top up to 20 litres.

sorry i know you properly haven't done such a time consuming brew johnno.
but don't be affraid to give it a crack it is really fairly simple."

Ok, forgive my newbiness but I am sure some of you guys were in my boots once. Where can I get my hands on all this stuff? Can I just rock up to a HBS and hand over this list and walk out with the lot or will it take some detective work and $50 worth of petrol driving all over Brisbane looking for it all?

Also what equipment will I need to buy? Obviously a largish SS pot some scales and a glass thermometer but what else and where do I get that stuff...This is getting stressful :blink: LOL

OK... i know the HBS shop in chappel hill can supply all, but if you're coming best to ring on Friday arvo so he can crack the grain.

the missus got me a 15L SS pot from K-mart for about $19.
the thermometer is standard HBS stuff.
Make life easy and buy yourself a grain bag as well. And that's about it. It can be hard to boil 15L on an eletric stove, gas i better, otherwise the bbq can work as well.

Sorry, don't know any HBS in Ipswich, although the rbewers choice in Wacol may have the necessary grain and hops

ODDBALL said:
Having just completed my second kit beer and looking around this forum I have decided to go to a partial brew for my next project.

Hey ODDBALL,
Beware the bug has bitten. Once you have done a partial it is only a small inevitable step to all-grain.
You will probably never enjoy a Tooheys or XXXX again.
:party: :super:

Apart from the pot and the scales your local HBS, assuming it is a good one, should be able to help you out. For the pot, try BigW, they have 19 litre pots for under $30 which will do nicely. Big W is also good for the scales, I got some digital scales there for $30 or just under a couple of months ago and they measure in 1 gm increments up to 2 kgs. Your HBS should be able to weigh everything for you though.

For your first go at this type of brew dried yeast is easier to handle - ask for Safale S-04, Nottingham, or Saf US 56 for this beer in my opinion. Liquid yeasts are great and if you're keen, knock yourself out, but maybe go with the dried for the first few.

Looks a good recipe. Good luck.

Shawn.

When I made the above recipe I used a large colander to catch the grain. Then I rinse it with a couple of more litres of water.

MMMMMM.. :super: I still remember drinking that beer.

Give it a try its not too hard at all. And the results are worth it.

cheers
johnno

And here is a pic of that beer from this thread here.
I had only been brewing 13 months at that stage.
There are plenty of good partial mash recipes on the site if you do a search.

cheers
johnno

post_4_1086862333.jpg

for recipes, have a look at:

- a shop in Melbourne - for each beer they give the recipe for kit, extract and AG
http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/BeerOTMont...ofthemoment.htm

- The Cat's Meow, massive recipe database:
http://brewery.org/brewery/cm3/CatsMeow3.html and http://brewery.org/gambmug/

- The beer recipator
http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipes

edit:
also for the 66 part, I think I read somewhere there is an easy way to do it, something like mix one liter of boiling water with 2 liters of cold water, and you'll get the right temperature - anybody can confirm?

A good idea is to use one of your current 2-4L saucepans to do the minimash.
580g of grain (350g cara-aroma and 230g choc) you will need 2L of water at 73C. That gives you the right water/grain ratio and the temp of 66-67C. Stir, cover the saucepan, and let it sit for 15-30 minutes. Then, either drain in a colander (if it's fine enough), a seive, or a nice big stocking.
Have your 20L pot with about 10L of water in it, coming up to the boil from the start of your minimash, to save yourself a bit of time. Once it gets to 73C, you can pour some into the small saucepan if you were so inclined. Strain your mash liquid into your bigger pot, which should be boiling now/soon, let it break (important) then start your hop additions.
Easy, accurate, and clean.

Yeah try that recipe for sure Oddball sounds great,i am on my 4th extract but u will never go back to the kit beers once u taste it.

The advise from the guys on here has been spot on, same as the info i got told by my LHBS guy (thanks Al) If you know anyone else who brews make a arvo of it and brew and drink beer and a bbq. Thats what I do anyway.

Cant brew enough now is my problem, oh well back to the keg for a refill (its a real shit having 8 kegs)

Good Luck Mate,u wont go back

:beer:

Dunkel_Boy said:
Easy, accurate, and clean.
[post="56701"][/post]​

A word of warning. Boiling wort on the stove is not always clean.
Wort boils in a very similar fashion to milk. Make sure you are watching it and ready to remove from heat when it boils.
It can make a big sticky mess.
cheers
Darren

Hey Darren,

Ever noticed how they only ever boilover when you turn your back on them or leave the room?

I swear they've got minds of their own. <_<

Warren -

Yep, They do have a mind of their own.
Like the time I remembered the boil whilst I was standing in line at the hardware store :eek:. Don't know why I left before the boil started.
Guess it was more than just turning my back though.
Lost more than half the batch and a HUGE mess.
Darren

warrenlw63 said:
Hey Darren,

Ever noticed how they only ever boilover when you turn your back on them or leave the room?

I swear they've got minds of their own. <_<

Warren -
[post="56722"][/post]​

No disrespect Warren, but if U R watching, it is not likley that they will boilover, so that's why it happens when "...you turn your back on them or leave the room".

Shame...I've done it too. :blink:

Seth :p

EDITED: for spelling and punctuation only.

I've got a shocking habit of leaving the lid on the brew kettle, completely covered to bring my woefully slow electric element up to the boil. (Hurry up NASA burner).

I walk off and clean up my gear and prep. a few other things and basically forget. The top of my boiler usually looks like a rabid dog. :blink:

On the upside I'm converting a (legal) keg for a gas burner over the next couple of months. Electric keg boiler is being relegated to HLT duties. 7 years of electricity has left me wanting a change.

Looks like those boilovers will be happening even quicker and uglier now. My flight plan is lodged at Houston as we speak. So people living in Parkes ACT (sp?) keep your eyes open for regular launches from the Nth. suburbs of Melbourne later this year. :lol:

Warren -

Here's a little trick I learnt from another brewer (you rock Asher).

Keep a spray bottle filled with water handy. If things start to get a bit foamy, just give it a bit of a spray, and it dies right down.

warrenlw63 said:
I've got a shocking habit of leaving the lid on the brew kettle, completely covered to bring my woefully slow electric element up to the boil. (Hurry up NASA burner).
[post="56729"][/post]​
Warren, unless you have already ordered, you might also want to check out the burners at Gameco in Preston.

http://brewiki.org/HeatSources

HPBurner.jpg

Guys don't mean to be rude but a boilover is noone's fault but your own, but the water sprayer is a damn good trick... just make sure you have a fast finger!

I used to steep grains in a stocking in my main pot... and pulling it out I was guaranteed to get juice all over the table/stove. This was never good with dripping extract either...
Using an extra, smaller pot allows you to simply pour everything from the mini mash into a colander/seive, let it drain, and then put the colander back into the small saucepan... so no dripping at all, then just boil as usual.

Latest posts

Back