Licorice Extract Powder In Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsieveking

Reaction score
Hi All,

Anyone had experience with using Licorice Extract powder? Got my hands on some and want to put it into a stout along with some cocoa but not sure how much.

I'm thinking along the Youngs Choc Stout lines:

2 x 1.5 kg Coopers Dark LME
250g Pale Choc
250g Dex
250g Maltodextrin

Fuggles 40g @60min, 20g @20min, 20g @flamout

250g Cocoa powder
25gm Licorice Extract Powder both in at flameout??

Yeast US-05 and make up to 20L

Any suggestions?

Cant speak for the liquorice powder but i didn't like cocoa all that much and you have to watch out for the fat content to memory, can ruin head retention. do search for cocoa nibs (available at health food shops apparently) in the forum lots of people have used them to bump the chocolateiness of their beers

Met a few brewers in belgium who use 1g per liter of licorice.
This gives the beer a 'hint' of flavor without really being detectable.
imo as soon as you can tell what the flavor is you have used to much.

No idea how this equates to powder :)

Thanks for the advice gents.

After tasting a steep of the powder and googling I have discovered that Licorice is an intense sweetener???? 50 x sweater than sucrose.... Thinking it will be interesting in a sweet stout.

I will go with 1g of powder per L of wort and see how it goes.

I have used cocoa powder in stout before with no head problems so think I will proceed with the choc bullet stout. Keep you posted

Thanks for the advice gents.

After tasting a steep of the powder and googling I have discovered that Licorice is an intense sweetener???? 50 x sweater than sucrose.... Thinking it will be interesting in a sweet stout.

I will go with 1g of powder per L of wort and see how it goes.

I have used cocoa powder in stout before with no head problems so think I will proceed with the choc bullet stout. Keep you posted

Go easy with it, I brewed this recipe once , and wasnt to worried about adding 10ml of the liquorice extract so added just a dash more maybe a couple of ml . and you could taste it just a little too much.

Holy Smoke Stout

INGREDIENTS
1 good stout kit
1.5 - 2kg light malt extract
150g cracked roasted barley
10ml liquorice extract
20g Goldings hop pellets

I just found this on a cooking site

Replace 1 tsp. of anise extract with tsp. of anise powder and add it to the dry ingredients in your recipe.

Not sure if its the same stuff but something to think about.

Back