Licked spoon and then fell into wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akury

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was finishing off a batch and my stirring spoon, which I had takes out and licked to taste the wort slipped off of the top of the fermenter and fell back into the wort... Should I be worried about getting an infection? Had anyone had any experiences like this?

Cheers

Wort that had just finished boiling? Unlikely
Wort that was a kit and some hot water mixed? Maybe.

Wait and see/smell/taste.

Similar. I mouth-siphoned into fermenters and had no ill effects - in fact it was the best batch I've ever made.

Get a good amount of yeast pitched at good temp ASAP, this will mitigate risk since the yeast have the best chance possible, hope that you have golden saliva of the gods like me. Taste in three days, you'll know if infection has taken hold

Wort that had just finished boiling? Unlikely
Wort that was a kit and some hot water mixed? Maybe.

Wait and see/smell/taste.

This was an extract kit wort that was cooled and ready to go, just before pitching the yeast. The one good thing is that I made a healthy starter so I guess we'll see how I go in a couple of days

Similar. I mouth-siphoned into fermenters and had no ill effects - in fact it was the best batch I've ever made.

Get a good amount of yeast pitched at good temp ASAP, this will mitigate risk since the yeast have the best chance possible, hope that you have golden saliva of the gods like me. Taste in three days, you'll know if infection has taken hold

Yeah I was lucky to have made a healthy starter, I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best

Back