Lets compare, I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lucky for us WEAL that renewable technology is getting cheaper by the day

One would think so, I somehow don't believe that any savings are passed on to us, I have just been reading about high altitude pseudo satellites, cheap to make no, huge launching costs can take the place of phone towers where the area is to remote, bomb insurgents, and generally be an eye in the sky . Can stay airborne for years only coming in to land for maintenance. But we have a stumbling block in managing energy resources.

Good. Because 'actual' satellites are becoming a riskier proposition due to over half a million pieces of man made shit orbiting round us at thirty thousand kph.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_syndrome

So soon we wont even be able to escape the planet if we wanted.
Time to start living under ground like Morlocks I think. Or people in Coober Pedy. Thats gotta be worth 6 stars.

Don't forget the Government has a big vested interested in energy prices (amongst other things), it's called GST.

Was watching a segment on ABC yesterday about AGL and their view on electricity production.

AGL want to get out of coal, they see it as more costly in the long term

They are also shutting Liddell Power station in 5yrs time ( they actully announced the shut down 2 yrs ago )

Liddell is the NSW version of Hazelwood. Was supposed to be closed 15yrs ago but had a major refit

Thats the problem, no one wants to invest in coal because the government will not give a firm opinion on the future of coal power plants,
but no one knows what we are going to do in the meantime, except keep putting the prices up.

I often wonder how many politicians have solar power, have special energy deals, claim part if not all on us. You never hear from them complaining about the costs personally, never.

Solar / wind power on anything other than the micro level is laughable and its about time we got that through out heads, and more importantly, pressuring guberment to do likewise. There are far more promising fields like bio fuel secreting bacteria that actually absorb CO2, vastly more efficient nuclear reactors, and yes, even the always ' 30 years away' fusion energy we should be pumping R&D money into. Displacing the farmers livestock with eye sore wind-farms and solar panels, rendered impotent as soon as nature fails to co operate is a fools erred and a sink hole for moneys that could be far more wisely invested.
Coal is simple, cheap and will see us well into the 22nd century. Clean it up, make it more efficient, stop hating on it. Its a wondrous thing. We should be exploiting the fact that we have it in spades. Even gas will see us out for the next 120 years, and much cleaner.
Bankrupting business to fund renewable energy white elephants and freezing old folk to death because they cant afford to turn on the second bar on the old radiant heater isn't the way to go.

Important to note also that government basically **** every project they touch to pieces. Leave it to private enterprise.

And South Australia is a top example Dave as to wind farm, solar, coal plant closure **** ups as to cost and how Governments can kill off the elderly and make the poor poorer.
Before the 20% power hike comes in July 1, SA has over 12,000 homes with electricity cut off, businesses are leaving in droves and won't invest here.
Beware of what you wish for.

And another thing, SA has an abundance of gas, my last bill ending March 2017 paid $0.36.6 cents per MJ. We SA, sell to Japan for $0.06 a MJ. You work that out, we should buy from Japan.

Thanks Dave, I'll have to have a beer now.

Last edited:
And South Australia is a top example Dave as to wind farm, solar, coal plant closure **** ups as to cost and how Governments can kill off the elderly and make the poor poorer.
Before the 20% power hike comes in July 1, SA has over 12,000 homes with electricity cut off, businesses are leaving in droves and won't invest here.
Beware of what you wish for.

And another thing, SA has an abundance of gas, my last bill ending March 2017 paid $0.36.6 cents per MJ. We SA, sell to Japan for $0.06 a MJ. You work that out, we should buy from Japan.

Thanks Dave, I'll have to have abler now.

Posted Today at 11:01 AM

I like the cut of your jib..

Solar / wind power on anything other than the micro level is laughable and its about time we got that through out heads, and more importantly, pressuring guberment to do likewise. There are far more promising fields like bio fuel secreting bacteria that actually absorb CO2, vastly more efficient nuclear reactors, and yes, even the always ' 30 years away' fusion energy we should be pumping R&D money into. Displacing the farmers livestock with eye sore wind-farms and solar panels, rendered impotent as soon as nature fails to co operate is a fools erred and a sink hole for moneys that could be far more wisely invested.
Coal is simple, cheap and will see us well into the 22nd century. Clean it up, make it more efficient, stop hating on it. Its a wondrous thing. We should be exploiting the fact that we have it in spades. Even gas will see us out for the next 120 years, and much cleaner.
Bankrupting business to fund renewable energy white elephants and freezing old folk to death because they cant afford to turn on the second bar on the old radiant heater isn't the way to go.

Important to note also that government basically **** every project they touch to pieces. Leave it to private enterprise.

Seen the Hunter Valley lately...hardly ******* paradise, air that smells like rotten eggs that you can cut chunks out of....( although not yet as bad as Beijing )...and holes...lots and lots of great big holes

Has anyone in Victoria got the $50 off the Andrews Government for visiting the energy website, had no intention of changing energy companies just wanted the $50

Has anyone in Victoria got the $50 off the Andrews Government for visiting the energy website, had no intention of changing energy companies just wanted the $50
According to recent email the cheques in the mail. Colleague has received a cheque, which took about 6 weeks. $50 = one 23l batch of a very good hoppy home brew!

I will be getting the 66 cents per kilo watt hour until 2024 by which time I would imagine the power prices will be around the same price. Will be bulking up my solar and checking out the batteries for then which will be hopefully cheaper. Good old labor party always rely on them for using OP's money.

Yes we claimed it. We had already used it and changed. So we did it again and it still said the same company. But we collected the $50.

Or something like that, I wasn't really listening to the finance minister when she was telling me.

Latest posts

Back