Lets compare, I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It all boils down to we the " Government" don't want to look like a Banana Republic. WE have sold everything that truly is worth something to all of use as a nation.

Hazelwood is shutting down and the media is stating, That it is a change for renewable sources for the power industry.
In reality the French own it and are closing it down so they can offset their carbon footprint in France.

Quote I have a plan to use green energy covered in oily trichomes to pay for my gas.

These are hops right? :D

manticle said:
I'm in TAS so we pay around 1 million dollars a month to run one small heater.

Power here is a ******* rip.

We do get a choice between aurora and aurora though which is good for competition.
That's F-ed. I'm with Momentum and they are awesome, so at least you know your beautiful green hydro power you aren't allowed to purchase is going to someone cool like me.

SA certainly does have the dearest power but when I read the local paper which published all the rates the comparitive prices other states are paying is very little difference. Okay we got the dearest but we're talking a few percent at the outside.

We've also have the most unreliable but unfortunately, SA having the dearest and most unrelaible sounds like it's going to hit the rest of the country pretty bloody quickly and become a national problem

Forgive me for not reading every word of the thread but chiming in anyway.

Technology gets better, smaller, more efficient and cheaper.

Coal (any finite source) only gets more expensive.

They're cry: "Oh the pressure on the grid! blah blah is why we have to charge you more and more! Oh those clean energy (options of additional energy supply) like solar panels are failing you! That's why your air conditioner wouldn't work for you in sunny hot stinking heat wave!!!!
So kill them clean energy greeny scum they are the reason you nearly suffered heat stroke on a stinking hot sunny day!!!!!!

Maheel said:
i fricking hate the daily charge on gas
90% of my bill is the daily charge FFS

100% reckon i should be using bunnings gas bottles as only gas thing in the house is the cooktop
Our local gas suppliers will check and fill a big household gas bottle for about $110 a year (bottle rental, services fees, whatever) plus the cost of the gas.

I have 2x 9kg gas bottles, which I fill myself when empty ($22), and one lasts 3-4 months - I switch between the two (literally turning a tap to point to the other bottle).
I'm usually pretty anal about getting that empty refilled promptly.

So we spend about $80 a year on stove-top gas, plus the time to goto the hardware store.

Cooking for the whole family is done on that gas cooktop. While I haven't sat down and compared the cost against the change in the electricity bill, I think we're a little bit ahead with the gas stove instead of electricity, and it's still 100% a-ok in a power-out.

Haven't use the big bottle for years. Absolute rip off to charge $100 plus for nothing at all. Used to refill 3x9kg bottles but that is as expensive as the swap n go now. Big plus is SWMBO is happy to do the swap at the servo when she gets fuel. At some stage people will wake up to the rip off and the gas companies might respond. ATM they are just cashing in as everyone is happy to hand the hard earned over without even thinking about it.

Energy Australia announced a 20% increase in electricity prices today, but not to worry it's only temporary until the renewables kick in. Yeah right.
Finally got my neighbour to cut down the trees which block off my solar panels during winter. She had a psychotic episode believing skinny Somalis were getting into her kitchen via the doggie door, I told her if the trees weren't there I could keep an eye on things.
Now our washing dries quicker and I am clocking up some kwh's.

It all boils down to we the " Government" don't want to look like a Banana Republic. WE have sold everything that truly is worth something to all of use as a nation.

Hazelwood is shutting down and the media is stating, That it is a change for renewable sources for the power industry.
In reality the French own it and are closing it down so they can offset their carbon footprint in France.

Actually...the reason Hazelwood is shut is because it is completely fucked. It was supposed to shut down 20yrs ago ( when it was completely fucked ), but they did a major re-fit to extend its life.

It would be cheaper to build a new power station than to keep Hazelwood working.

The government knew it was fucked but didnt bother to put any strategies in place...hence now the panic

My Aunty was one of those that worked on the original design & the re-fit ( she has Phd in Coal combustion ) and she said it was amazing that it stayed working for as long as it did

And as for her view on clean coal. The word bullshit is her most uttered response when she is asked this

What Tony Abbott suggested was the best idea, run Hazlewood into the ground over 2 to 3 years while new coal fired powered plants were built.
Then again with the amount of coal fired plants Japan has in the pipeline, and the fondness they have for our coal, will leave any coal plants we build wanting, or paying a higher premium for the black stuff.

Australia has plenty of coal, build some new state of the art coal fired stations now. Then fu&k around with renewable solar etc that can not possibly replace them anyway. Otherwise stop whinging about power costs, or go stand alone with your own solar.

Attachments

• 11aa.jpg
    11aa.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 86
Strange times we live in. 35 years ago in the UK, Maggie shut down all the coal mines and the lefties went berserk. Here we are in 2017 and the lefties want to shut down all the coal mines and the righties are going bersek.

Australia has plenty of coal, build some new state of the art coal fired stations now. Then fu&k around with renewable solar etc that can not possibly replace them anyway. Otherwise stop whinging about power costs, or go stand alone with your own solar.

or, you know, the government could make a f*cking decision over our future energy sources so private and government sectors could make investment decisions with some degree of certainty on their ROI. No investment into new stuff, means old stuff costs more to maintain, supply and maintenance costs go up and suppliers can use that uncertainty as a really good reason to hike prices

Yes Australia has plenty of coal, we have plenty of gas to, doesn't make the price of the gas any cheaper for us consumers in Australia.
I remember reading some years ago (regarding GST) the best way to hit everybody's pocket rich or poor hike up the price of energy resources, well that is happening and we still have GST and more than likely that will go up in the not too distant future.
If we went nuclear it would be cleaner and they would need a good excuse to put the power prices up then.
Agree with SBOB, and we will never get a decision made by a bumbling prime minister who doesn't know left from right.

Buy our gas from Japan, easy.
SA highest gas and electricity prices in the country. Closed coal mine and power plant without any substitute, backup or even a plan.
Question - why are we pissing coal off, yet sell it to India, China etc so they can pollute the world further.
Answer - because the pollution stays within the boundaries of those countries and only pollutes them. Plus we are hypocritical.

Paper today had suggestions for us to say power.
"Get rid of the beer fridge", F$%king what!!!
"Have cold showers" that's so we can freeze to death quicker as we can't afford to run the heating.
"Use cold water in dishwashing machine" well we don't have one but would that work???? Better suggestion would be to wash dishes by hand - derrrrr

Yep, I'm building a waste oil burner from scrap and waste oil is also scrap but, there's a ton of energy in waste oil. Right now we're an all electric house, gas is far too expensive to put on and with spiralling gas prices it seems stupid to even think about it.

If the waste oil burner works well I may consider converting our wood combustion heater to waste oil or hybrid and also use it to heat our hot water service. Only a wintertime thing of course, bet we can add solar to the hot water service for summer.

Canada has 3 power stations with CCS systems, prevents 90% of the CO2 going into the atmosphere, it may take up 20% of the energy produced by the power plant but surely that should be enough for our government to move forward and OK whatever power plants we need to keep energy clean and cheap. I just don't understand what is so hard.
Wind turbines and solar energy at the moment is not good enough, it's akin to saying all food must be produced organically, no GM produce, no chemicals, it would be expensive and 1/2 the world's population would starve.

Back