Lets compare, I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wide eyed and legless

Reaction score
OK received my new rates for gas and electricity, to give a bit of bargaining power if we compared the rates with each other it could give us some leverage when questioning our rates and service to property.

State Vic company Lumo

Gas.
Service to property $0.69 / day. Winter. First 57.52 MJ / day $0.023. Remaining $0.018
Summer. First 57.30 MJ / day $0.021. Remaining $0.017
Discount 15% prices GST inc

Electricity.
Service to property $1.18 / day Peak usage ($ / kWh ) $0.31
Off peak usage ($ / kWh ) $0.14
Discount 22% prices GST inc

Feed in tariff (solar) $0.66 / kWh

Normally I will stay with the same company, nearly moved to Energy Australia they offered me 44% on electricity but it is a trap with solar sounds better than what it is.

With that feed in tariff why would you think of moving...

Someone did some bad maths when they thought that offering more for feed in kw/h than usage kw/h was a smart/sustainable idea..

Looks expensive to me but then I find these things hard to read and understand, we are with simply energy + racv discounts

Electricity

Peak Electricity 08-Jul to 07-Oct 2139.50 kWh 0.233000 $498.50
Peak Electricity 08-Oct to 12-Oct 104.24 kWh 0.233000 $24.29
Supply Service Charges
Description Unit Price Total (excl. GST)
Supply Charges ( 97 Days ) 0.978700 $94.93

Discount Plan : 30% RACV Guaranteed/eBill/Direct Debit Discount
Supply Charges $94.93 @ fixed 30%off $28.48Cr
Electricity $522.79 @ fixed 30%off $156.84Cr

Gas

Energy Charges
Meter Type Meter Number Previous Date Previous Reading Current Date Current Reading Bill Days Usage MJ
Basic 4969CQ 22-Sep 9926 A 23-Nov 2 A 62 2943.68
Tariff Description Consumption Unit Price Total (excl GST)
GAS 23-Sep to 27-Sep 237.39 MJ 0.018700 $4.44
GAS 28-Sep to 30-Sep 142.44 MJ 0.018700 $2.66
GAS 01-Oct to 31-Oct 1471.84 MJ 0.017900 $26.35
GAS 01-Nov to 23-Nov 1092.01 MJ 0.017900 $19.55
Supply Service Charges
Description Unit Price Total (excl. GST)
Supply Charges ( 62 Days ) 0.608100 $37.70
Discounts
Description Total (excl. GST)
Discount Plan : 16% RACV Guaranteed Discount
GAS $53.00 @ fixed 16%off $8.48Cr
Supply Charges $37.70 @ fixed 16%off $6.03Cr

i fricking hate the daily charge on gas
90% of my bill is the daily charge FFS

100% reckon i should be using bunnings gas bottles as only gas thing in the house is the cooktop

wide eyed and legless said:
They all offer around the same feed in tariff, the taxpayers pay for it.
Its ending in NSW at the end of this month (I think)... you have a bit longer in Vic if you're on the original FIT signup (I think)

I do enjoy subsidising other peoples electricity bills ;)

Maheel said:
100% reckon i should be using bunnings gas bottles as only gas thing in the house is the cooktop
A mate of mine does this, he gets his bottles filled cheap via his work and just has 2 on rotation for his stove

The FIT agreement I am on ends 31st Dec 2024.
Leyther you should have your new rates for next year as they all went up, it is hard to compare when listening to the sales pitch, they quote with GST or without GST, different discounts. That's why I would be interested to see what others are paying in plain English, I change my home and contents each year because most of the insurer's give a 30% discount for the first year to sign you up, and this year I changed my private health cover for the very first time.

G'day Mate, I looked at my charges and for the gas prices they are the same as mine.

I am with LUMO in Parkdale Vic 3195

The power for me is anytime rate $0.23

No solar on roof. If I go solar it will be off grid.

I'm in TAS so we pay around 1 million dollars a month to run one small heater.

Power here is a ******* rip.

We do get a choice between aurora and aurora though which is good for competition.

manticle said:
I'm in TAS so we pay around 1 million dollars a month to run one small heater.

Power here is a ******* rip.

We do get a choice between aurora and aurora though which is good for competition.
You should ring Aurora and see if they'll better the competitor's pricing.

Guys,
I have been enjoying $60.00 power bills since the kids got married (solar power and water). Not looking forward to the 2017 bills when my $0.60 in-feed tariff comes off.
Water bill down by 25% when each kid left (only 2), should have got rid of them earlier or charged them board or something.

Thanks to solar, I can't remember the last bill where we needed to pay the bastards.

Water on the other hand..

As a tenant without solar (this will probably change in the future when a portable system, or a power company owned system, is installed on rentals.. much like Foxtel dishes where they shout the dish to get your business) I'm chuffed that the feed in tariff is being scrapped.

With advances in panel technology it shouldn't be too far away.

I was thinking SA would have the dearer power, even though Tassie has the hydro they do import a lot of power from Victoria.

I understand that the energy retailers are out for business, they buy from the wholesaler and try and get the best price possible through the speel merchants on the phone, its just that now, after speaking to them, and no matter how hard you try to understand the prices thrown at you, I feel the same way as I feel after buying a new car, never can nail a real good deal.

I'll try and get into this. A good mate of mine works at EDMI and has given me a power meter. I'll try and add data in the brewer context. (Using a couple of tariffs here)

Since starting to brew again this year I had a power bill yesterday, after a full month of the cool room in operation nonstop set on 18 degrees C day and night plus the cold crash fridge set on 2 degrees C, the bill came in lower than the same time last year and still in credit.

The gas bills are being tipped to go through the roof, though have to wonder if this is another ploy by either the energy companies or the government to push for fracking, or softening the blow for our importation of gas.

Australia is exporting gas to Japan below what it costs to remove from the ground , treat and transport. False economy or deals done with Japan. We are paying to offset the loss.

It is cheaper to purchase the gas back from Japan then what we are paying for it now.

Well I'm not going to sit idly by and let the energy companies shaft me, I have a plan to use green energy covered in oily trichomes to pay for my gas.

If its cheaper to buy it back from Japan then we may as well not send it and just give them a load of dollars.

Back