Let talk Kegerators?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyj

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am looking into buying a kegorator to put in a Bali hut in South east Queensland fully covered by a timber bar ( the fridge will be hidden) prices range from around $500 to $800 depending on regs, taps ect.
The problem is for the fridge they all look exactly the Same seem to all come out of China and have a 12 month warranty.
Is Kegking the best option?
Any advice from the experienced?

For that price I think the taps are all crap, I believe Ross does a keg King one with good taps ? You could make your own with a chest freezer etc

If you are in Brisbane then I'd recommend buying from Ross. I have two kegmates, and the first one is coming up six years old, has been through a couple of interstate moves and has never missed a beat.
As posted above, they come into the country with a crap font set which is normally the one when they sell a package deal on Ebay for a very cheap price.

Ross won't sell those .. whilst the font set he sells as a matchup to the kegerator are pretty good, they can have problems with gumming up and sticking if not dismantled and re-lubed after every brew. That's not a killer, but If I had my time over I'd buy the font tower but put three Perlick flow control taps on, which I may well do next year.

mxd said:
For that price I think the taps are all crap, I believe Ross does a keg King one with good taps ? You could make your own with a chest freezer etc
$619-$689 will get you the new Series IV keg kings with their new stainless steel 'intertaps' (add your own kegs, CO2)

For me the best deal when downsizing 18 months or so ago was CraftBrewer for kegerator (with 3-year warranty on compressor -- only one to do so) + local collect/help/advice/convenience --- stainless font & shanks from Cheeky Peak --- flow control tap bulk buy (in my case Rototaps)
Perhaps this will still be the go if you choose the latest model kegerator mentioned above (if Ross stocks it?) + taps of your choice (Cheeky peak has good prices)?
Too lazy to check latest prices ATM. Good luck with it.
Just my 2 cents.

Is it not cheaper to make your own? Taps plus a used fridge from Gumtree would come in far, far less than $500. My used fridge and taps have come in far, far less than $500. In fact, it came to $300 all in.

Actually, to be fair, the keg king kegerators do come with a lot of stuff but then I've got decent taps and a decent regulator. If you went cheap, you could put one together for half the price of the keg king ones. $60 for taps, $50 for regulator, $40 for disconnects and lines, $50 for a used fridge, $50 a font and say another $50 for the last bits and pieces you might need.

I agree with you welly2 that it's easy to convert a fridge or freezer for less outlay but the OP is asking about kegerators & so we replied. :)
If the OP has the wherewithal to whack on a collar & drill a few holes to save money then good luck to him. Been there, done that.
Horses for courses. ;)

If you want something that looks like a fridge with taps hanging off it, sure go the cheap route and save $200 maybe. $200 is not heaps by any streatch of the imagination. Hell $500 odd is not either in the whole scope of things.

I got my kegerator and (recently) sold the twin taps and tower that came with it so the price of the 3 tap font and flow control perlicks were off set by the sale of them. The kegerator looks like it is made to be a beer dispenser and can easily sit in a main room and not look out of place. Wifey happy but would she say yes to a gumtree fridge with taps on it in the lounge... NO WAY.

Mine is about 3 years old now I think and still going strong.

Cube said:
If you want something that looks like a fridge with taps hanging off it, sure go the cheap route and save $200 maybe. $200 is not heaps by any streatch of the imagination. Hell $500 odd is not either in the whole scope of things.

I got my kegerator and (recently) sold the twin taps and tower that came with it so the price of the 3 tap font and flow control perlicks were off set by the sale of them. The kegerator looks like it is made to be a beer dispenser and can easily sit in a main room and not look out of place. Wifey happy but would she say yes to a gumtree fridge with taps on it in the lounge... NO WAY.

Mine is about 3 years old now I think and still going strong.
Chuck a bit of glitter on it and paint it pink, she'd love a gumtree kegerator!

this mob seem to care about what they sell - if you're in VIC, no affiliation etc sounds like I can make a few changes with stuff already on hand here and they'll work around it

definitely more aesthetically pleasing B) than a fridge/freezer with taps hanging off it

and...not that resale is some major factor but its probably easier to sell a 2nd hand kegerator and retain some of the extra cash outlayed in the beginning

ed) sounds like your local bloke is the go up there bro

Kitchen fridges are designed to be tall and thin so that you don't do your back in reaching for the cheese. If you can find one big enough to hold 3 cornies you end up with masses of headspace.
And no matter how you dress it up it always looks like a nerd hobby attempt that is always relegated to the garage.
Kegmates are designed for ...erm ...kegs and as posted above look great in a dining room or family room.
Go out with $500 to buy a suitable 3 keg fridge and see how far you get at Harvey Norman.

droid said:
this mob seem to care about what they sell - if you're in VIC, no affiliation etc sounds like I can make a few changes with stuff already on hand here and they'll work around it

definitely more aesthetically pleasing B) than a fridge/freezer with taps hanging off it

and...not that resale is some major factor but its probably easier to sell a 2nd hand kegerator and retain some of the extra cash outlayed in the beginning

ed) sounds like your local bloke is the go up there bro
Bought my kegerator from them. Very good customer service. All lines balanced and ready to go setup.

I downgraded from a Keezer to a Kegerator (due to space considerations. Forced outside now, lost man cave to this kids).
Swapped out the shit font tower for a SS one, and hooked up my Perlick FCs to it. Well two of them anyway. Get one less tap than kegs capacity, that way when fridge is full there is a spare gassed to go.

Nothing worse than working through all kegs in parallel then having them blow foam all in the space of a couple of beers.
Panic in the brewhaus will sure to follow!

Cheers,
D80

Thanks for all the replies guys.
Think the new model kegking could be the go with the stainless taps. Comes with a font fan and sits lower than the others on the market so good for my outdoor bar.

No affiliation but Paul at easykegging at Yatla in Brisbane stock the fridges and all the parts. I would give him a call as he does the fridge brand new for just under 500.

jimmyj said:
Thanks for all the replies guys.
Think the new model kegking could be the go with the stainless taps. Comes with a font fan and sits lower than the others on the market so good for my outdoor bar.
Looks good too, and no need to hide it: I just moved into a new place and setting up my beer supply.

dining room with kegerator.jpg

Sorry to rain on anybody's parade but on the Keg King site everything is either out of stock or discontinued :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Ross still has stock according to site.

I'm a fan of the keezer, the kegarators off the shelf have been covered.

Bribie G said:
Sorry to rain on anybody's parade but on the Keg King site everything is either out of stock or discontinued :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Ross still has stock according to site.
Its because they are/have just released the new Series4 of their kegerator. First shipment sold out instantly, most stores are getting more stock in November from what I have read (and their website shows 26/11/2015, but I think my local country brewer is getting some this week from a sign they had up last week)

Found this on Homebrewtalk.com.
A font made from an exhaust manifold,the posters name is HoustontheWolf.
Brilliant idea.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back