Lest We Forget

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
My grandfather was in the 2/40 Battalion which was an mostly Tasmanian company. "Sparrow Force"

Was captured in New Guinea and was a POW but eventually returned.

Lest we Forget.

Jesse

My grandfather was in the 2/40 Battalion which was an all Tasmanian company. "Sparrow Force"

Was captured in New Guinea and was a POW but eventually returned.

Lest we Forget.

Jesse

Indeed.

My great grandfather made it through the Gallipoli landings and the western front, one grandfather was also in New Guinea (and North Africa) and the other was a navigator whose plane crashed into Mount Etna in Italy after having the shit shot out of them. Somehow they all survived.

As an ex-serviceman myself I encourage everyone to take a few minutes to spare a thought, prayer or whatever you thing is for all of those who have gone before us and those who are still doing an amazing job in dangerous, shitty circumstances.

Lest we Forget.

JD

Definitely a time to reflect on how lucky we are and how many people went off to war for the benefit of all.

BTW, did anyone else find the Peter Cosgrove ad where he invites us to raise a glass (of VB) in honour of the diggers a bit off? I plan to raise a glass of something much nicer but feel that thinly disguising an ad promoting CUB profits in the name of ANZAC day a little tacky.

My Uncle died in Sandakan 4 months before the end of WW2.
I never had the chance to meet him as I was not yet born.
I will never forget.

Graeme

anyone heading for a bit of 2UP at the local RSL's?

I certainly am :icon_cheers:

will be choking down the Draught for a few hours ;)

Good thread yob. If it wasn't for those brave and courageous men we may not have the freedom we enjoy nor such a fantastic country to live in.

Lest We Forget.

3 sets of great grand fathers who served and my grandfather. 2x paternal 1x maternal. My grandfather was positioned in Guinea and was eventually discharged with shrap metal in his back and malaria.

Lest we forget.

Definitely a time to reflect on how lucky we are and how many people went off to war for the benefit of all.

BTW, did anyone else find the Peter Cosgrove ad where he invites us to raise a glass (of VB) in honour of the diggers a bit off? I plan to raise a glass of something much nicer but feel that thinly disguising an ad promoting CUB profits in the name of ANZAC day a little tacky.
Yeah, a total travesty. If anything those of us who haven't fought should be staying home and quietly reflecting on our slavish acquiescence to our political masters as soon as they start banging the war drum and waving the flag. We forget all to quickly IMHO.

Lest we forget

back from dawn service and a few rums.
My grandfather served and im ex army. it always means a lot. Kids have been learning about anzac day at schol etc and im happy about what the've been taught. They really wanted to get involved.

Cheers to all digs past and present

No.

I see where you are coming from though, but i'm pretty sure that the ad specifically says something along the lines of:

"whatevery you're drinking......raise a glass" or words to that effect.

Had it not had that in there, i would of course, completely agree, but as it invites you to drink whatever you want to drink but still remember those that fought for our country, i don't have a problem with it.

Mt grandfather served in the Stanley ranges in PNG and was a decorated war hero.
He never spoke about it much, but if pressed, would always embellish things to add some humour to what was, unbeknownst to me at such a young age, a very traumatic experience.

I got into a shouting match with one of my primary school teachers over it. Apparently my grandfather did not take PNG whilst drunk with a handful of mates he met on the boat over.

Lest we forget.

My grandfather was in the merchant marines then navy. He survived the pacific only for it to catch up with him later on... To cool down, they used to swim in the benzine tanks :blink: .... masive cancers thru his whole body.
oh the things our fathers, grandfathers, etc used to do to give them some semblence of normality during service. Bless them

my grandfather fought on the western front an was awarded the Military Medal.
my father was a lad in occupied Norway,and told me some horror stories about that time.
an uncle was a "red beret" in the pommie airbourne and jumped on D,Day and told many a storie.

Lest we forget.......

+1 to all of the above. just waiting for the old man who's marching in the city today (Vietnam vet), then taking him and a few of the old boys to the pub for beers. have a good day everyone and cheers.

Grandfather's brother, emmigrated from Germany, serving in the Australian Infantry shot by a German guard in a POW camp, buried at Landrecies. Ironic!!!!

Dad enlisted in 1942 joining the 2/15 Australian Infantry Battalion. Served in New Guinea, Borneo, Labuan, Morotai.

Great bloke, didn't talk much about the war.

Lest we forget.......

Screwy

My Grandad served in Borneo as a Sergeant Major.

He died 10 years ago today whilst marching in the Anzac Day Parade.

I will never forget him.

Great to see huge numbers at the Dawn Service in Brissy today. My dad was in the army but was never deployed.

Lest we forget.

Both my teenage kids marched today, they wanted to..great to see.

At the going down of the sun,

we shall remember them.

Back