Less Of Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gambrinus

Reaction score
Was brewed dark AltBier.

I took

1.65kg of Pilsner
1.80kg of Munich Light
0.3kg of CaraPils
0.15kg of Crystal 10L
0.15kg of Chocolate
0.75kg of Barley]
0.40kg of Flakes] 22% no malted grains
--------------------------
5.2 kg of grains

I got 17 liters with OG 1.048. :angry:
Why?
I don't understand

What were your kettle loses? I lost a lot to the kettle for a while (10+ litres) untill last weekend when I whipped a copper manifold after seeing Merc's B3 setup.

nonicman said:
What were your kettle loses? I lost a lot to the kettle for a while (10+ litres) untill last weekend when I whipped a copper manifold after seeing Merc's B3 setup.
[post="84062"][/post]​

Please explain further nonic. Can you post a pic of the manifold. I'm puzzled? My new system needs 38 litres to get 23 litres with a 13.5 litre kettle loss. Anything to reduce this is good.

:beer:

Tidalpete said:
Please explain further nonic. Can you post a pic of the manifold. I'm puzzled? My new system needs 38 litres to get 23 litres with a 13.5 litre kettle loss. Anything to reduce this is good.

[post="84097"][/post]​

It's rough and ready and took around 10 minutes to knock up just before I let the first runnings into the kettle on brewday. I'm sure anyone could do better :).

Edit: and yes the kettle will get a rough scub before the next brewing session :eek: it's not called the Slack Brewery for nothing.

kettle.JPG

Tidalpete said:
nonicman said:
[post="84062"][/post]​

[post="84097"][/post]​

Pete, don't reduce your kettle loss, if you do you will use less water for the sparge which will result in less efficiency into the fermenter, 13 lt loss is ok, my loss is only 6 lt and I struggle to get 65% eff, what is your eff?

Was brewed dark AltBier.

I took

1.65kg of Pilsner
1.80kg of Munich Light
0.3kg of CaraPils
0.15kg of Crystal 10L
0.15kg of Chocolate
0.75kg of Barley]
0.40kg of Flakes] 22% no malted grains
--------------------------
5.2 kg of grains

I got 17 liters with OG 1.048.
Why?
I don't understand

Gambrinus, give us some more info on your system,sparge amounts ect.

Cheers
Andrew

nonicman said:
Tidalpete said:

[post="84097"][/post]​

It's rough and ready and took around 10 minutes to knock up just before I let the first runnings into the kettle on brewday. I'm sure anyone could do better

Edit: and yes the kettle will get a rough scub before the next brewing session it's not called the Slack Brewery for nothing.
[post="84116"][/post]​

Much appreciated nonic. Nothing wrong with that.
Andrew, I am still fine-tuning & experimenting with my mash & sparge. Of the 3 AG's I've done so far the efficiency has been 66% - 70% - 59%. Not too sure on the last one as I think I stuffed the calcs up? My post boil OG was 1.052, up from an expected 1.048. :blink:

pete, can you pm me that last recipe and we can take this off list
Not too sure on the last one as I think I stuffed the calcs up? My post boil OG was 1.052, up from an expected 1.048.
And I will have a look, your eff should have increased not dropped.

Cheers
Andrew

AndrewQLD said:
pete, can you pm me that last recipe and we can take this off list
Not too sure on the last one as I think I stuffed the calcs up? My post boil OG was 1.052, up from an expected 1.048.
And I will have a look, your eff should have increased not dropped.

Cheers
Andrew
[post="84136"][/post]​

Will do mate.

Hello to All!
I have not a system.
This was the first time that I used Igloo cooler. I got a 23L batch, and after filtration in sifter with 16 liter of water I got OG 1.048(the first OG of wort was 1.070)

Back