Legal Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spog

The Odd Drop Brewery
Reaction score
evenin' all. in the process of setting up for ag brewing i contacted lion nathan brewing about kegs, i was told that kegs are returned to the breweries for cleaning and refilling,any damaged kegs are destroyed due to legal, health and safety reasons.the only suggestion for getting some is to maybe approach a pub or club who may have some old kegs in storage or your local hb store.so i guess as per previous post,s do it legally so our collective home brewing arse,s are covered

from what the brewery told my bro inlaw all kegs still remain the property of the said brewery up until they are crushed or otherwise.
however if a kind publican or other person gives you one then mums the word.
silence is golden.

cheers
big d

I was talking to a guy a few years ago, who ran a small micro and asked where he got his 50l kegs.

He said there is a joint in Sydney called Keg Systems that sells them second hand. I think the guys name is Craig Deakin. It stuck in my mind becuase he was mentioned in Willie Simpsons column a few weeks later on a story about small and home kegging systems.

No contact details - sorry - but maybe worth a search.

cheers -

If you email Craig Deacon, he can send you his price list (XL Spreadsheet).
He sells kettles too - for $275. *gulp*!
I've attached a picture of the kettle.

Cheers,
TL

60l.jpg

For less than that you can get one of morebeers 14gallon kettles sent over and delivered to your door. And in my opinion they are a damn sight more sexy. Still it's good to see options opening up slowly.

You can also buy them from scrap yards. I figure if you get a receipt then it is up to the scrap yard to make sure their supplier is kosher.

Also there is a Vintner in Cambellfield in Victoria which sells them for $100 or so. I asked if they were legal and he claimed they are. I can't remember the name of the joint though and a quick search didn't dig them up.

sosman,i agree buying in good faith and getting a receipt should be good enough in my book.

Hard to buy a CUB or LN keg in good faith when their 'it's ours, forever' policy is pretty clear.

I get the impression that "if they really wanted to keep them forever, they wouldn't be so careless and leave them about, all over the place".

I'm a baaaad boy!

if anyone is so sure with a reciept that they will be covered then ring up the company/brewery brand name on the keg and see what they say.just dont tell them who gave you the reciept incase they want to visit them with the lawyers.
i would be very interested to hear what the reply is.

ps anyone game to give it a shot?dont forget to give them your name and addy if your so sure. :lol: ;)

cheers
big d

I have 12 "Cornelius Brand" kegs. Thet are all stamped with "The property of Coca cola.
All my pickaxe bottles also have "The property of SA bottle company" (or something similar) on it. Are these illegal too?
My HLT and MT are "off shore" kegs. Apparently it costs more to send them back than they are worth.
Cheers
Darren

Darren said:
My HLT and MT are "off shore" kegs. Apparently it costs more to send them back than they are worth.
Cheers
Darren
Darren, do you get "off shore" kegs from the pubs or are there 3rd party suppliers ?
Or do they just find their way to your place? ;)

Darren said:
Cheers
Darren
Darren, do you get "off shore" kegs from the pubs or are there 3rd party suppliers ?
Or do they just find their way to your place? ;)

oops - double post. Sorry

Heya Rob,
I bought them about five-years ago.
They came from a second hand dealer (Pooraka salvage) in Adelaide.
$60 each. They had all sorts of stuff, wine barrels, food grade plastic drums and about 100 or so kegs. Wish I had bought more at the time.
Their site is now an "intersection".
darren

I have a friend of a friend etc etc who works in the pub game. I asked about how hard it would be to obtain the 50l kegs legally.
His response "you can't get them. They remain the property of the brewery." Quickly followed by "How many do you want?".

I'm with bigd - Silence is golden.

Just to change the topic slightly - "If" I was to obtain one of the said kegs, how long would it take to force carbonate 50litres?
20litres - 2 days.
50 litres - 5days???

Cheers

wish i could help you quincy.my "silence is golden" is still waiting for me to do a double batch to fill it.i would imagine if you fill it with cold beer then gas and shake till ya pop ya hernia then it may take marginally longer than the 18-22 jobs.

cheers
big d

Back