Legal Age

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rooks

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I was interested in the legal age to go buy a brew-kit
(one from coles)
Any help is appreciated

I'd assume there is no legal age. As you are not buying anything alcoholic, you should be fine.

If there was a legal requirement the stores would be obligated to make it known, as they do with cigarettes etc.

no minimum age to buy sugar and yeast matey, go for it!

Interesting question,
So i take it that means that a 12yo kid can go into a home brew shop and buy all ingredients neccassary to make beer, or spirits.... :blink:

a 5 year old can even,
sometimes i DO wish i had kids (hmmm little brew slaves)

When we were based out of the shop at North Ryde I had a couple of young guys decide they would try that one. I guess it is up to the person selling the stuff to make a decission. I always told them to bring their Dad back & that was the end of it.
Cheers
Gerard

Yeah Gerard,

But there's also a serious attempt, I'm told by someone with a long and intimate involvement in the liquor industry, either to lobby or to test responsible service legislation via the courts to the effect that brew shops and supermarkets would be required to ensure that no-one under age was able to get their hands on brewing materials etc.

Apparently the current version of the AHA is funding a series of court challenges designed to put the shackles on the home brewing industry.

Maybe you're in a good position to get the real story on thgis as, effectively, you have a foot in both camps.

PB

Apparently the current version of the AHA is funding a series of court challenges designed to put the shackles on the home brewing industry.

Not worth worrying about.

There are probably a dozen or so HBS in each capitol city. Any action taken against the Home Brew industry is aimed at Coles & Woolies. They have two main suppliers Coopers & Lion Nathan. Lion Nathan now have a large interest in Home Brew supplies as well as supplying every pub or club in the country with a couple of different brands of beer. How do you think they would react if the hotel groups started making it harder for them to sell their cans of glug? What type of reaction do you think that would bring? I was actually having a beer with my old boss the other week & nothing was said. If anybody would know, he would.

I think that the main aim of the liquor industry at the moment would be to fight the changes to things like Pokies entitlements, taxes, and operating hours, as these are crucial to keeping hotels open & profitable & the publican in the newest BMW X5 or 6 or 7. They might throw the idea of bringing the Home Brew industry under some type legislation so the powers that be can knock them back on something.

When I was managing hotels they started the RSA thing, and it was painful. It's only a few hours & everybody gets a certificate at the end. I can't imagine every woolies checkout chick having to do an RSA type course, but why not. That is another how many people @ $75 per head down at the local TAFE.

The HBS operators that I have met wouldn't give an underage kid the time of day.
Most kids that want to get a drink when they are underage will find a way to do it.
Nobody in Australia over the age of 18 has ever consumed Stones Green Ginger Wine. We all stopped that way short of our 18th birthday! There are quicker ways to get the job done than buying a HB kit.

But doesn't it give you a sense of pride that some young kid in baggy jeans with his hat on backwards is thinking of putting down a batch of Ale for him & his homies!

Cheers
Gerard

Ive been buying homebrew kits/grain/ yeast since i was 15. Never been questioned, the shop owners seem to love it..

Maybe soon we'll have to show ID and sign a disclaimer before we buy LME, just like you have to do now to get sudafed.

I tell ya, those gloop kits are a gateway drug!

Kidstarbuck.jpg

Nah, a legal age won't be brought in... well, it's silly to- all you really are buying is a container and some malt, plus yeast.

And while we are there, lets get the basic fundamentals of fermentation and distillation removed from the school chemistry syllabus, and introduce these topics at University, where we have an age-legal audience :excl:

I think it was year 8 or 9 when we did the experiment with water, sugar and yeast in a balloon. Come back later to find a balloon full of CO2. We also did another where we extracted the alcohol from some type of liquor then set it alight. I am certain our science teacher had no RSA, not sure he had a Dip. Ed, but he was pretty good with a fire extinguisher!
James

We did that in Chemistry; we distilled alcohol from wine. Our teacher stressed that drinking pure alcohol is a mistake; and then said that since distilling spirits is illegal, he has to burn it straight after. We were upset.

Why not just sell the packets of yeast behind the counter like cigarettes... they are the guys that make the alcohol :p

Jye said:
Why not just sell the packets of yeast behind the counter like cigarettes... they are the guys that make the alcohol :p
[post="81908"][/post]​
*******. Now I've got images of the kids at school exchanging jam-jars of yeast slurry.

If you put an age limit on the ingredients, you can be damn sure the kids will want to get started - the fastest way to introduce them to homebrewing is to make it clearly illegal.

Now I've got images of the kids at school exchanging jam-jars of yeast slurry.

I hope they practise correct sanitising procedures :D

Back