Left A Half A Middy Of Beer Out In My Shed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wisey

Reaction score
Just wondering, the other night mates and I had a fairly big afternoon on the brew, and someone left half a middy sitting on the table, so next morning when I was doing the cleanup rounds I picked it up and smelt it and It was sour as. So I gave it a taste and felt my mouth pucker and my face nearly caved in.

I am wondering for this to develop overnight, does this mean my beer has a bacteria waiting in the background of my brew (it tastes fine)? or it doesnt take long for these sour bacteria's to take over?

Cheers
Wisey

Open to air all night long? Could it be oxidation?

Cheers SJ

I left a full glass out overnight once - read very big night

It appeared to have started fermenting again when I discovered it the next day - it was a very warm night

I reckon it picked up a much more attenuative yeast in the line / tap that started chewing the remaining malt

I wasn't game to taste it though

Cheers

Open to air = open to airborne organisms, which include those that turn alcohol into acetic acid (vinegar) and those that turn sugars/carbs into lactic acid (sour milk acid). Sounds like one or more of those settled into your beer overnight and went to town.

This is why we keep our fermenters sealed/covered well.

Open to air = open to airborne organisms, which include those that turn alcohol into acetic acid (vinegar) and those that turn sugars/carbs into lactic acid (sour milk acid).

Not to mention the bacteria in ones mouth which is all over the rim of the glass and consequently also in the beer. Im sure that would aid in the speed of fermentation. :icon_vomit:

Doesn't take long, my first job in Australia was cleaner at the Quay Hotel in Bundaberg and it was a constant battle to keep behind the bar smelling sweet, I would get in there at four in the morning and the place would stink of vinegar and old socks from the driptrays and the beer spilled behind the bar. Had to drag the big rubber mats out and hose them in the street and mop behind the bar before doing any further cleaning. Can still smell it now.

Doesn't take long, my first job in Australia was cleaner at the Quay Hotel in Bundaberg and it was a constant battle to keep behind the bar smelling sweet, I would get in there at four in the morning and the place would stink of vinegar and old socks from the driptrays and the beer spilled behind the bar. Had to drag the big rubber mats out and hose them in the street and mop behind the bar before doing any further cleaning. Can still smell it now.

Fruitflies there?

Back